12. THE UNKNOWN NUMBER

—Theon was shivering, cold and blue, when the Goddess found him, and the Moon fell in love with his song

[KARMA]

CHET AND I were heading to his house to hang out while we babysat his little brother since his parents wanted to go out for the night.

I was always happy to help. I can see why Alex was so crazy over her new stepsister too. Dustin, Chet's three-year-old brother, was an absolute sweetheart, although he did have his destructive moments.

Chet also has an older brother, Channing, whom I've never met.
He started college before Chet and I began dating and dropped out soon after to start a band. At least that's what the rumors say.
Chet doesn't talk about him and I don't really pry.

When we got to his house, his parents were just about ready to leave.
His mom was a tall, slender woman, with medium length frizzy blonde hair and she always had a kind smile for me.

His dad however, was a hulking Mediterranean man with chestnut skin, who always looked like he'd never smiled a day in his life. With a strong jawline and a firm set mouth always pressed into a thin line, looking at him felt like looking at an older version of Chet, although Chet took some softer features from his mom, like his kind baby blues.

Mrs. Ferrick met us at the door and after a quick greeting, she told us where we would find everything.

Mr Ferrick hadn't bothered to say a word to me, as usual. He's started to pretend I simply don't exist now.

They left shortly after and Dustin launched himself at me as soon as I stepped into the living room where he was watching Bluey on the T.V.

I picked him up and swung him around a bit, making him squeal with laughter. Chet ruffled his hair and went upstairs to change while I sat on the couch with the bouncing boy on my lap, watching the cartoons with him.
I could already tell he would become a handful, with time.

Chet brought us snacks and we spent the evening playing with Dustin until he was so tired he was slow blinking up at us.

Chet gave him a warm bath and put him to bed while I cleaned up downstairs. Things had gotten rowdy and there was popcorn everywhere.

When he returned, I was lounging on the couch, flipping through a selection of shows on Netflix. He sat and put my feet up on his lap, gently massaging my soles with his strong hands.

"You decided on anything yet?"

I shook my head. There was silence for a while as I skipped through the top picks before he spoke again, "I need to ask you something."

My stomach did a little flip at his tone and, turning my full attention to him, I saw that his cheeks had a dusting of red across them.

"Sure."