7. THE SPINELESS BLOB

—The Sun God Surya, was not pleased with Cain for the crime against his own kin

[ALEX]

I PLUCKED MY new AirPods in and started listening to music. The Sharpest Lives by My Chemical Romance was playing and I started humming along.

It had been a few years since I'd left my emo phase behind, but I felt like the only thing that would never change was my taste in music. It just had to match the level of chaos I felt inside.

My brows furrowed after a minute and I removed one of the buds to hear Tristan humming to the song as well, that is until our eyes met in the rearview mirror and he clenched his jaw again.

A lover of the classics too, huh? Who woulda thunk?

"Bullets should've been their breakout album."

I furrowed my brows, trying to figure out whether or not I was seeing and hearing right.

"What?"

I stared at him through the mirror, confused. Is the jerk actually trying to make conversation?

"Bullets should've been their breakout album," he repeated, "Simple."

"Okay, but when did I ask?"

Tristan rolled his eyes and shifted in his seat as the car picked up speed.

"You're actually right though," I snorted, "See, now why can't you try being a less crappy person more often instead of trying to look all hard when people are around?"

"Shut up."

"No you."

There was no traffic around us on the long stretch of road, so I guess Tristan wasn't too worried about getting in trouble when he floored the gas, causing me to be flung back in my seat and the car to shoot forwards. I was digging my nails into the upholstery while trying to appear calm even though I was praying for my life.

Soon after, we pulled up to the entrance gates and Tristan finally slowed to a crawl and parked at the top of the driveway. I got out of the car with wobbly legs and my bag slung over my shoulder.

Never again.

"You're welcome," Tristan gruffed, loud enough for me to hear.

I flashed a sarcastic smile while flipping him off and headed inside.

As soon as I got to the bottom of the stairs, Candy was barreling down, followed by Althea. She let out a loud squeak as she threw her arms up and I scooped her into a tight hug, happy to see my stress relief.