11. THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT

—One dark night, the moon came to see the boy whose song had caused her to fall

—One dark night, the moon came to see the boy whose song had caused her to fall. That night, the sons of Cain grew stronger.

[KARMA]

AFTER PRACTICE, I got showered and changed before taking a moment to scroll through my messages.
I'm not the type to constantly be glued to their phone, but I had to keep in contact with Alex.

Before she moved away, my best friend and I swore to each other that we wouldn't lose touch. So far, we've been good on keeping our promise.

Alex and I have been texting almost every day and I'm not sure if it's the time zone difference or just because she's too busy to wait for me to get on, but she would always take ages to respond and then bombard me with a plethora of messages to respond to, most of them complaining about her stepbrother.

Tristan apparently thought he was hot stuff and was making my best friend's life a living hell.

This time, Alex had texted a long, mad rant about him and while reading through it, I couldn't help but giggle. I didn't think it could get worse than him tossing her out of her chair on the first day of school, but I guess I was wrong.

I read through the colorful language she was using, my brows going up and down in shock when Alex had clearly become far too upset to continue filtering herself.

Me: Do you need a rescue chopper?

As I was putting my things away, Cassidy approached me.

"So, mind telling me what's going on with you?" She asked, crossing her arms as she stood before me.

I swallowed hard, my palms starting to sweat instantly as I wondered what she was on about.

"W-what?"

She sighed and pressed her back against the locker next to mine, "The whole time during practice you were lost in your own head. I wanna know why."

"Oh, I- well," I couldn't find the words.

Cassidy was never always this nice was she?

"Tell me what's wrong. No bullshit," Cassidy gave me a serious look. This girl doesn't mess around and she has no problem confronting people.

"I'm fine, really," I responded quickly. There's no way I was going to tell her the truth, "Just a bit nervous about the game."

She grinned and grabbed my arm, lacing her fingers with mine, "C'mon that's nothing! You know we always win against Lakeside. They literally have the worst team in the whole league."

I gave a small laugh at that as I closed my locker with my free hand and allowed her to lead me from the room.

She was talking at me as we got to the door and bumped into Kaitlyn hanging off Ashton's arm. Before I could speak she advised me that he was taking her home and with that they both headed outside.