f i v e

In Seong had never seen the apartment complex so dark as night fell that night. It was now a full 24-hours since the disaster started. Like when he first went up the stairs, he stepped quietly behind Hyun Soo. In Seong matched Hyun Soo with his pace as they made it down the floors to get to the kids. It was the only think In Seong could think about.

In Seong kept his mouth shut – and unlike Hyun Soo, In Seong was without his phone. He tossed it pretty far down the stairs, past floor twelve apparently. According to Du Sik, if you dial any number, you can hear the monsters as they were getting close. In Seong was at a disadvantage, but sticking by Hyun Soo, In Seong would have a slight insight on what was happening around them.

As they walked, Hyun Soo tried to open the doors to the main entrance to the floor. In Seong noticed the chains on the door, just like on the thirteenth and down in the lobby. Whoever locked them in wanted them all to be stuck on their own floors.

Hyun Soo looked back at In Seong, gesturing his head to follow him. In Seong quickly followed Hyun Soo, climbing into the elevator. In Seong started to hear the footsteps of a monster, and then the complaints of "I can't see" reminded him what they were dealing with. If that monster used its echolocation again like he did with In Seong in the stairwell, it would be able to find the kids.

In Seong looked up at the lights in the elevator as soon as they went completely out.

'Shit!' He thought. 'First cell towers, then the internet, and now power.' In Seong squeezed his hand around the handle of the blade. The power going out in the complex meant that they were going to be lower on resources. At least with power, they could keep things longer.

In Seong barely moved when the blind monster found their location, its arm hitting the rotting container of fish. In Seong lifted his arm up, covering right under his nose, blade pointed outward towards the monster's arm. "I found you."

In Seong was ready to attack the monster when Hyun Soo beat him to the punch. He fell back when the monster scared them. Hyun Soo pointed the knife weapon at the monster, stabbing it, sending electrical charges. Hyun Soo pushed the monster back, gesturing his head to Inseong. He ducked under the weapon to climb out of the elevator. He looked back at Hyun Soo as he continued to push the monster back so he could escape.

In Seong was the first one to run off, knowing either way, the monster was going to follow them. Hyun Soo was behind him. In Seong didn't look back, he just continued to run until Hyun Soo grabbed him. Suddenly, In Seong fell onto his back with Hyun Soo on top of him. However, In Seong saw the arm of the monster stretched out to all counters of that turn.

They were like roots of a tree, stretching out and stabbing into anything they could. Inseong noticed the blade of the spear near his face. He looked up at Hyun Soo who was looking at the roots that had gone into the wall on the other side of the hallway.