🔸️02.09.1994 - The Day After - Pt.1 Memories

word count of chapter two: 28.3K

✒ part one: 14.7K
✒ part two: 3.7K
✒ part three: 9.8K

About part one:

Warnings: arrogance, coldness, indications of insanity and schizophrenia, manipulation, starvation, impersonation, dark magic, killing, unforgivable curse, rudeness, death, breakdown, guilt, adultery, offensive addressing, parental loss (+pain) at young age.

Mentions: dreams, desires, enchanted forest, talking mushrooms, strictness, enthusiasm, hurt, masked feelings, emotional support, emphaty, male weakness, regrets, uncertainty, cemetery, understanding, fire, grief, shame, disgust.

─────────────────────────

[ me ]

Dreams are a weird feature of the human mind. They are unpredictable, usually uncontrollable, unreal, but yet some of them feel real, or at least leave us with real feelings, with real memories or real fears. But dreams are needed for the human mind, to process all those more or less important things on our minds, to calm us down, to make us forget and allow us to find straight thoughts again afterwards. In that night, there definitely was a lot to keep my mind busy with dreaming, a lot my brain would have to process and even if I still hoped to find answers to at least some of my questions, I already knew that even my dreams wouldn't be able to answer all those questions that were constantly on my mind, all those questions about the man in his black robes, the man behind this stern facade.

No one had managed to occupy my mind that quickly. We had spoken only a few words yet, but what had been way more fascinating were all those unspoken things between us, the way too long eye contact, the not really uncomfortable silence between those few words. For anyone watching us, this would have made a weird picture of a conversation, it was odd, different than anything I had experienced, but yet.. fascinating. And it didn't let me go...

There were a lot of other things told about dreams, some called them fairytales, some legend, and some even believed in such words. 'When you couldn't sleep at night, it was because you were awake in someone else's dream.' If this, or the fact that even if I might be in a completely new environment, I was yet caught in the cycle of my own inner clock, was the reason for me to blink open my eyes around half past 4 the next morning, would never be known.

My mind slowly awoke from the beautiful state of sleep, the memories of that night's dreams slowly fading away, as I sat up in my bed. The room was still as cold and dark as it had been yesterday, when I went to bed, but yet this new morning didn't feel as threatening. It was way too early to get up, but it would take some time to break this monotonous cycle I had lived in for the past 10 years. A slight flick of my hand enlightened a crackling fire in the fireplace, which slowly drove away the cold and filled the room with a comforting warm light, nothing compared to the dim cold light of the moon, whose almost full shape was yet still visible in the dark sky.

What I knew yet, was that my first day wouldn't start with any teaching yet. I would see the headmaster after breakfast to discuss his plans for me. This thought felt slightly comforting to me, as I was not a single step closer to having any ideas on how to teach a dull and painfully theoretical subject like ancient runes, nor any other subject. What I knew was that I would have to make it much more appealing than it was back in my own years, to crack open the reputation of this subject being important and boring, because it was anything but that, once you engaged into this world of old language and writing to discover all the old secrets of this beautiful thing called magic.