A twisted tale

"Was it near here?" Kojiro asked as he brushed his fingers through the strands of silky pink hair. It was such a vibrant, beautiful color.

"No, my shrine was in the mountains. I have traveled far these past few decades." Kaoru whispered.

"I'm sorry. If my family..." Kojiro couldn't say any more. A shudder rain through his body.

The Kitsune was so close that it shook him as well. He turned to see the haunted look that crossed over the strong happy face of the Fu dog. Kaoru reached out a hand to touch the warm skin. Kojiro shook himself. He gazed deep into the worried yellow eyes. Twisting his head, he kissed the palm of the Kitsune's hand.

"I'm sorry you went through that." He whispered.

Before he could say more, they pulled up to the restaurant. The driver circled the building, parking in the back near the door to the living quarters. Kojiro squeezed the Kitsune's hand.

"Stay here for just a moment." He whispered.

Getting out he walked to the driver. Kojiro sighed. "Can you and Reki do some security for me tonight?" he asked the blue haired teen.

"Whatcha need?" Langa opened the trunk, then stepped back. He knew better than to get in Kojiro's way.

"The new heir to the Shindo estate isn't what he appears to be." Kojiro stated as he loaded up his muscles with all the bags from the trunk. There was only two he couldn't grasp. Lange seized them.

"Alright. You protecting the fox?" Langa asked peering into the back seat where the Kitsune sat patiently.

"Yes." Kojiro tore his eyes from the proud head of pink hair.

"Spread the word. He is under my protection." He demanded.

"You got it." Langa popped open the door. He nodded for the Kitsune to get in-between him and Kojiro.

"You stink." Kaoru held his hand over his nose. He then lowered it to lean into the teen.

Sniffing at his shoulder he winced stepping back again. While in the car Langa had kept the partition up between the front and back seats. The smell of musky sweat and cold spewed off of him. Kaoru gasped. He hadn't smelled this scent since...

"You're a Yeti!" He cried softly leaning into Langa once more.

A large hand grasped his shoulder dragging him back into the house. Langa sat his bags next to the ones Kojiro brought in. Kojiro let the Kitsune go. He glared at Kaoru, but the fox only had eyes for the teen. Kojiro felt a pang in his chest at the delighted way the Kitsune watched the boy. Kaoru wrung his hands together.

"I haven't seen a Yeti since I left my mountain. Where are you from?" he gushed.

"Canada." Langa drawled out. This dimmed some of Kaoru's excitement.

"Oh." He pouted. Kojiro let out his breath. He wanted to laugh at how disappointed the Kitsune looked. Then a thought accused to him.

"He was your friend, the Yeti?" Kojiro asked softly.

Kaoru turned his back on them, but nodded as he swiped at his eyes. Kojiro wanted nothing more than to walk up to the fox, pull him into his arms in order to make him feel safer.

"Well, Langa is a Yeti, his boy..um best friend is a red panda. They have another friend who is a..." Kojiro coughed half covering the word he spit out.

"Nekomata."

"A cat?" Kaoru's laugh tinkled in the air. Kojiro's head shot up. He loved that sound.

"Its fine, I'm very disciplined." Kaoru smirked at him.