CherrBlossom's in bloom

Nearly a year later, Kojiro stood atop a snow capped mountain. Spring was slow to come up this far, yet many of the other mountains showed signs of the warmer weather. Kojiro glanced toward his traveling companion.

"Are we on the right path?" he asked.

The Kitsune swung his head around. He glared back at the Fu dog.

"Its been nearly a hundred years! Things change!" he snarled, stroking the budding of his sixth tail. His power had grown greatly now that he didn't have to run, or fight to survive.

Kaoru. Kojiro thought the name. It always brought a smile to his lips. More so when the Kitsune wasn't looking. Kojiro found he could be a bit more like Cherry Blossom than Kaoru, most days. It was endearing to see him grow into the being he was meant to be.

"This way." Kaoru turned to walk toward the edge of the cliff.

"Didn't we come from that way?" Kojiro asked.

"No!" The Kitsune barked out.

"How do you know?" Kojiro prodded, smirking behind the other's back.

"Look at the snow, you overgrown baboon!" he yelled.

Kojiro tossed his head back, laughing. It thrilled him to know he was able to get the Kitsune to call him names! For Kaoru to feel that safe with him... it was everything to the Fu dog. They followed the new path. It wound down the side of the mountain, then connected to the other mountain about halfway down.

Kaoru nodded, as his pace picked up. He rushed along the trail. Not that it was actually a trail! The Kitsune was forging his own path as they marched through the grass or weeds. Kojiro followed carrying the heavy packs. They hiked for another hour before, the Kitsune all but ran away from the Fu dog.

"It's here! It's here!" Kaoru cried as he raced through the deeper foliage.

"Where did you go?" Kojiro yelled trying to follow.

At first he could see where the Kitsune bent the grass, or where his foot twisted around in the dirt. After about twenty minutes, Kojiro lost all sign of the pink haired vixen.

"KAORU?" he yelled turning in a circle.

There was no sign, no bent blade of grass, no foot print, no laughing cry on the wind. Nothing indicating that the Kitsune had gone this way, before him. Kojiro thought about turning back, following his own trail, maybe he missed something.

A light tap hit his right shoulder. He spun, nothing. A wisp of a feeling grazed his left hand. Turning, nothing. Kojiro was feeling a bit unnerved. There was something ...ancient here. Something that didn't necessarily want him too close.

A soft giggle. Kojiro knew that sound. "Kaoru?" he breathed out the name.

He moved to go in the direction, when something curled around his wrist. He was pulled back. Arms encircled his chest. Kaoru snickered in his ear.

"Can you feel it?" he whispered.

Kojiro got his feet to hold him up. He looked up at the Kitsune, still holding him. The smile that lit the somber face was breathtaking. The golden light shinning in his eyes was otherworldly. The glow that emanated from him was surreal. This, this was the Kitsune he was meant to be.

"You're home." Kojiro whispered.

Kaoru released him then. "I am. Come. See." He cried, tugging on the Fu dogs arm.

Kojiro followed. He wanted to drag his heels. He wanted to prevent the Kitsune from reaching his ultimate goal. What would happen when Kaoru was truly home? Would he stay? Make Kojiro leave? The Fu dog's head dropped, as the thoughts bombarded him. Yet, Kaoru's excited cries, made him look around.