Chapter 6: Welcome Home

"Welcome to Spinner's End" Snape said.

Harry looked around the property and at the house which was now visible. The plot of land sizzled as the fidelius charm worked to conceal them and their surroundings. At the front of the house, the grass was overgrown and wild looking. There was a simple and short concrete path that led to the front door of the house. The house looked decrepit and dreary, the bricks of the house were coloured in a dark blue/black; and showed a few signs of cracking.

Harry looked up and down the two-story house, looking from window to window. Snape at this point had unlocked the door and could be heard trudging about the house. Harry meekly walked up the footpath and climbed 4 steps to the house. When he walked inside he was slightly taken aback. He had spent the last few days at Snape Manor, a grand and proud looking home. This house however whilst not small, was very .... muggle. Harry was currently standing in the hallway looking to his left (the kitchen) then to the right (the living room). Straight ahead was a narrow staircase leading to the second floor.

Walking into the kitchen Harry saw that it, like the rest of the home was covered in dust. Snape quickly trudged into the kitchen pushing Harry aside. He swished his wand, and the dust vanished. Harry heard Snape walk up the stairs and mumble the same spell over, and over again, trying to dispel all of the dust and mould from the house. The kitchen was not as large as Grimmauld Place, yet not too small. To the far right of the room was a stove, oven, and many cupboards. Believe it or not, the kitchen also contained a refrigerator. Harry moved closer to the fridge and opened it, preparing to be assaulted by a foul stench. However, it never came, the fridge was completely empty. Looking at the kitchen countertops, there was a kettle and a toaster. Harry at this point was slightly confused. Why would Snape use a toaster, when he could use magic; how did Snape even know what a toaster was?

On the other side of the room, there was a bay window and a round table for four. It was very old and contained many knicks in the wood. Harry looked to his right and saw that there was another door; which led to the back garden. He thought about going outside but thought otherwise; lest Snape go spare and ground him. So he looked through the glass window that the door contained and saw that outside lied a narrow backyard. There were many pot plants and various weeds and wildflowers growing. As it started to rain, Harry decided to go into the living room and see what the room was like. Walking into this room, Harry could feel the professors personality radiating from the walls. The room contained a black leather couch, along with a matching black leather high back chair. Every wall of the room was covered in shelves that contained many books; each stored both vertically and horizontally. Harry sat on the couch and continued to silently inspect the room. It seemed a depressing room, not filled with any personal belongings. There was a fireplace, which looked as if it had not been used for over 10 years. In the corner of the shelf furthest away, sat an old television. Harry's eyes goggled at the fact that Snape would own a TV. Harry began to wonder, was this a safe place? Had Snape added muggle items to fool the death eaters into thinking that this house belonged to a normal family? No, then there would have been fake family photographs or anything to show that more than one person lived here. Walking to the bookshelf, Harry read out the names of a few of the books. The shelf was mainly all wizarding books, with a few muggle books mixed in. Was it true? Could Snape be a half-blood?

At that moment the potions master descended from the stairs and walked into the living room, looming over Harry. Snape stood glaring at Harry, then around the room. Trying to figure out if Harry had touched or moved anything from its original place.

"The house is now dust and vermin free" Harry shivered at the thought of there rats, mice or cockroaches crawling around the house.

Snape squeezed the bridge of his nose in annoyance and told Harry to sit down on the couch, so they could have a serious talk.