Chapter 8: Family Bonding Time

After re-reading Lily's letter, Severus sat on the bed letting what he read sink in. With his memories back, he couldn't help but feel betrayed. After all this time, his memories were only being returned now! Trying to calm his breathing, Severus stood up and began pacing. Biting his lower lip and pressing the palms of his hands into his eyes, his thoughts were on Potter, Harry, his son. What had he done to him all of these years! Finding out what the muggles did to Pot... Harry shocked him, however now, knowing that he himself had treated Harry the way he had; he was ashamed.

Knocking could be heard from another room in the house. Wiping his sweaty palms on his pants, the professor opened his bedroom door and peered into the hallway. Harry was slowly making his way downstairs. Quickly shutting the door, lest Harry see him, he sat back down on his bed. Checking the time, he realised that it was only 5:00am. What was he going to say to the boy that he had terrorized all these years? The boy hated him, and with the news of him being the boy's father, this would crush the perfect image he had of James Potter. Deciding that he did not want to face the boy quite yet, he laid down on the bed gazing up at the ceiling. Having his memories back all at once drained his magical core. After 10 minutes of 'counting sheep' so to speak, the professor was now sound asleep. All that could be heard was Harry walking around in the kitchen preparing breakfast.

As Harry sat on the kitchen table he rubbed at his eyes, trying to rid the sleepy feeling he had. He could vaguely remember what happened yesterday, it was all a bit of a blur. Looking at the clock he realised that it was only 5:00am. Deciding that he was actually quite hungry, Harry took out a pan and decided to make some scrambled eggs on toast. Ten minutes later Harry sat at the table slowly eating his food, whilst peering outside observing the weather. Even though it was summer, it looked quite chilly, the wind was blowing, and leaves were being thrown back and forth. After sitting in the kitchen for an hour, Harry turned to face the ceiling; hearing a creek from upstairs.

Severus Snape was tossing and turning in his bed. Only to be jolted awake as he heard a frying pan clank onto the kitchen floor. Listening intently to the noises, he realized that it must have been Potter.. the boy... his son. His 'son', how foreign the words sounded in his mind. Falling back onto his pillows and sighing, the potions master was at a loss once again. What should he do? How was he going to tell the child that he was his father? After pondering for what felt like 20 minutes, Severus decided to get up and have a shower.

After contemplating yesterday's events in his mind, he got out of the shower, dressed in the same clothes which he charmed clean, and walked to stand at the top of the stairs. Taking a deep breath Severus found his courage and walked down the stairs.

Striding into the kitchen the first thing he realized was the frying pans on the cook top. The boy had obviously cooked himself something to eat. The next thing he realized was the fact that the boy was openly staring at him. Swallowing, Snape walked over to the kettle and started to boil water to make some tea. Even when his back was to Potter, he could feel the teenager's eyes on him. After fixing himself his tea, he turned to face the boy.

"Morning Harry" Snape said, shocking himself; only just realised what he said. He had meant to say 'Potter', however, somehow, he said the boys first name. Both father and sons face took on a similar appearance of disbelief. Shaking his head like trying to remove a bad memory, Harry responded.

"Good morning Professor. Umm (the boy hesitated) I've made some Bacon and Eggs, there's some leftover if you want". Harry spoke this in a soft tone and looked to the table when he saw that Professor Snape's eyes continued to stare at him.

Shaking himself out of his stupor, Snape was astonished that the boy had thought to make extra breakfast for him. Having done nothing but berate the boy during his years at Hogwarts. The child still showed him kindness. Only just realizing how like Lily he was. Still showing kindness to someone when they had done nothing to deserve it. Seeing as the boy was obviously frightened of Severus' response, he was probably waiting for the onslaught of insults from his Professor, just like in every potions class.