Chapter 13: What a bad student

First Day of Classes

It was very early in the morning when Harry decided to wake up. Having had a rested sleep, after retiring early from the feast the previous night. Harry went to breakfast at 6:30am as he wanted to beat the onslaught of students which he knew would come. After Professor Dumbledore had named Professor Slughorn their new Potions teacher, and Severus Snape the Defence against the Dark Arts teacher. Harry knew he had to do something about it. After eating his dry toast, eggs and bacon. Harry trekked up 9 flights of stairs in order to reach Professor McGonagall's office. Knocking on her door, he was met with an enter.

Professor McGonagall was sitting at her desk with a quill in her hand. Upon seeing Potter at her door, she dropped her quill, whilst looking at the clock.

"Potter, what ever is the matter, are you alright? It's only five past 7!"

Harry ignored her question and sat in the chair opposite his head of houses desk.

"I'm here to talk about my subjects, Professor" Harry said whilst looking at his Professor with a look that said, 'try me, I'm going to see you now'.

"I'm fairly certain that this could wait till late.... Oh well I suppose you're here now, never mind. Alright, what is wrong with your subjects, do you wish the change or drop one?"

"Yes, professor I wish to drop..." As Harry spoke the professor could be seen searching through papers, searching in the P section to get to Harry Potter's file.

"Defence against the Dark Arts" Harry said in an almost bored tone.

"Potter, have you completed lost your mind?!" The professor's eyebrows were raised and the pitch of her voice, too rising precariously high.

"That is one of your best subjects, not to mention the fact that you indeed started, and taught Dumbledore's Army. Honestly what has gotten into you!" After a long pause of the teacher looking at the student it finally clicked.

"Ahh. So, it's not that you want to drop the subject, you want to drop the teacher! I thought it was your ambition to become an auror?"

"It is... but" the stern woman interrupted Harry.

"I'm afraid Harry, not liking your teacher is not a good enough excuse to drop a class. Especially a class as important as DADA. If you would like to go to the headmaster and challenge my decision, by all means do that. However, it will only be a waste of time, as I guarantee he will say the same as I have. Good Day Potter" Professor McGonagall signalled the conversation over, leaving Harry trudging miserably out of her office.

Potions Class

Harry sat next to Neville and Hermione in potions class. Professor Slughorn was walking around the classroom offering bits of advice to various students. Once he saw Harry's cauldron, he commented on how well Harry's brewing was, and that it greatly resembled his mother's adept potion skills. Harry, however, knew that the only person whose potion skills his resembled was Professor Snape's; considering the man did spend the summer teaching him. Harry merely smiled and thanked his professor.

For once, potions class went quite well, with Harry receiving an E for his class; and he hadn't even been trying that hard.

Defence Against the Dark Arts

Once the class started to fill up, Harry made sure to sit right at the back of the classroom. Hermione looked at Harry sceptically. Harry had no wish to be in Snape's close eye contact, at the back he at least at the whole class as a buffer between him and the professor. Once everyone had sat down, Snape came striding into the room, and up to the front. He spent the class talking about the content for the year, as well as discussing Inferi. Harry was listening to the class; however, he would glance to his desk, the walls or the ceiling. Never wanting to make eye contact with the man he hated with immense passion.