Chapter 11: Harry's Birthday

Chapter 11

Grimmauld Place

Having spent the remainder of his holiday looking for the three letters, to no avail. Harry scoured Grimmauld Place from top to bottom, even enlisting Kreachers help. He had even been so desperate as to send a missive to Professor Snape.

Dear Professor,

I was wondering if I left behind any spare pieces of parchment or letters at your house?

Harry.

It was a vague message, but he couldn't outright tell anyone the truth. He wanted to be the first person to read those letters... Everyone else had spent so much time with his parents, and he couldn't even remember anything about them. But now, with the letters gone, a dark shadow had come over Harry. He spent most of his days moping around the house, leaving Sirius feeling upset (had he done anything? His godfather would whisper to himself).

Downstairs Sirius was watching Harry as he ate his breakfast. Having brought up Harry's attitude with Remus the previous day, he was met with only a half answer as to why Harry was acting like this. Sirius was not stupid, he could tell that even Remus thought that Harry was happier at Snape's. As a godfather he tried his hardest to keep Harry entertained and happy, however he soon realised it was all for nothing. Sirius' mood was becoming sour as the days wore on. Because he made Grimmauld Place a safe house for Harry, Order Headquarters had moved to another undisclosed location. Sirius was however house bound, meaning that he was not allowed to attend order meetings. Remus tried his best to come over and discuss what had happened at said meetings. This was not what Sirius thought life living with Harry would be like. Having had enough of Harry's attitude, he confronted the boy again.

"I've had enough Harry, I ask you what is wrong, and you never tell me the truth. So, I want right here and now, for you to tell me exactly what is going on. When you used to come over every week you were so excited, but after living here, from the second day you have been nothing but miserable. If you want to stay with Snape I won't hold that against you, just stop acting like this; it's depressing." Sirius finished with a huff.

After hearing his godfathers rant, Harry couldn't tell whether or not he felt more miserable or angry at the fact that Sirius thought the atmosphere was depressing. Not being able to hold anything back, Harry finally let out all his pent-up anger.

"Depressed? DEPRESSED!! YOU KNOW WHAT IT WAS LIKE LAST YEAR, YOU! YOU WERE DEPRESSED, AND EVERYONE HAD TO PUT UP WITH IT." Gulping back some air Harry continued to rant, only this time he started to lower his voice as he became more and more emotional.

"I can't help being upset, I've lost something that means more to me than anything that I own. I've been trying to find it, but it's gone. I even asked Snape to see if I left it at his house, but he said nothing was left; and I don't know what to do" He finished by bursting into tears.

Sirius was taken aback. He was worried that Harry's depression was from something worse than merely losing something.

"Well why didn't you tell me, I would've helped you; what is it you've lost?" Sirius asked.

"That's just the thing, you can't help. I asked Kreacher to help, even he couldn't find it."

'Kreacher is a little untrustworthy' Sirius commented.

"And as for 'what is it', I don't want to say, it's personal" Harry finishes vaguely.

Sirius sighed, looking around the kitchen not knowing what to do or say. Looking back at Harry, he only just realised that Harry never disagreed with him when he asked whether Harry preferred Snape's. Leaving the table Sirius went up to the study, closed the door; magically locking it.