Part 1

WARNING: ABUSE

Hands wrapped tight around my neck, squeezing, making it impossible to breath. My father looks down at me, his eyes full of contempt, as he squeeze harder, restricting any air flow. My fists are hitting his arms, looking for any type of mercy as the black spots fill my vision. "You're disgusting." The words are growled out, he has no mercy for is own daughter. What have I done to him? What did I do to deserve this?

My vision is fading and my hands are slowing down, the punches becoming more of light taps, as my body begins to shut down. He's smiling now, he likes my pain. He lets out a cruel laugh, my pain is funny to him. My hands go limp and I look up into his green eyes, so much like mine, before I succumb to the darkness.

*****************

When I wake up I have no idea what time it is and my throat is burning, in need a cool glass of water. It's hard to get out of bed, my body screaming in protest with every movement. Willing my body to move, I finally make it off of the bed. Walking to the mirror I steal a quick look at myself. I'm a mess with my hair sticking up everywhere and hand marks around my neck. That'll take a while to heal.

It wasn't always like this. We used to be one big happy family, the typical one that you would be jealous of when you saw them in a supermarket. We used to be happy. That was until mom passed away when I was eight, and ever since then my father would take his anger out on me. He comes home, gets drunk, and then takes his anger out on me, telling me that I'm the reason my mom died.

Limping down the stairs, I pass my father laying on the couch, passed out drunk. It makes me sad to look at him, to know what he's become. I look at him for only a moment longer before I make my way into the kitchen. It's a gift that he's passed out right now or else I would've never been able to come down here without receiving a beating.

Grabbing a glass, I fill it with cold water. My throat burns as I slowly sip the refreshing water, the coldness feeling nice on my tight throat. Setting the glass down, I limp towards the front door even though I know it's no use. He never leaves the door unlocked, never lets me leave this house. If he did let me leave, people would see what he does to me behind closed doors.

Twisting the knob, it's locked as its always been. Grunting, I turn to head back upstairs before something shiny catches my eye. On my fathers neck on a silver chair is a key, glowing at me. Swallowing harshly, I quietly walk over, as if any movement at all could wake him. When I reach to grab the key, he grunts, scaring me a little bit but he doesn't wake up.

Taking the key in my hand, I slowly walk back towards the door, careful not to wake him up. My breath gets caught in my throat as I turn the key, the door slowly creaking open. I turn back for a second to make sure he's not awake and he's still passed out. Breathing a sigh of relief, I grab my shoes from the front door before heading out.

Knowing that he could wake at any second, I decide my best bet is to go through the woods. This way if he wakes up, he'll think I went down the path to the main road and he'll look for me there. I think about the last two years of my life as I walk deeper into the woods. Every twig that snaps underneath my feet has me jumping, thinking it's my father finding me. Every day for the past two years he has beaten me, ingraining the thoughts that I will never be loved in my head. But I deserve better, there has to be something better out there for me. I can't live like that anymore, I refuse to live like that anymore.

I'm not sure how long I've been walking before a growl makes me freeze. Turning, I see many glowing eyes staring back at me. Growls are heard from every direction, a warning for me not to come any closer. Frozen, I'm unable to even scream, as I look down at the ground, a sign of submission. The forest goes quiet for a moment before there's sounds of something tearing.

A few seconds later a man walks out of the darkness and stops in front of me. "What are you doing out here?" The words are full of malice, he's only inches away from me now. I can feel his body heat radiating off of him, a comfort, if he wasn't looking to kill me.

"Please, you need to help me." A strangled sob escapes my mouth. The man stiffens, seeing me come apart. "I just escaped my abusive father, I don't want to go back." Falling to the forest floor, I curl my arms around my knees, rocking myself back and forth. "Please don't make me go back." I'm breathless as the sobs just keep coming, unable to stop.

The man is quiet and I see his expression go blank. He looks to be deep into memory before he kneels down next to me, his face neutral. "Come with me." He doesn't touch me, instead he stands waiting for me to stand to.

I stand, my hands coming up to wipe my eyes. "Are you going to take me back to my father?" My body is shaking with just the thought of him.

The man looks at me with pity. "No, I'm not going to take you back to your father. Just come with me, I have someone I want you to meet."

And so I follow him.