Part 30

It's been about two weeks since I've shifted and the pack life has been going well. The only problem is me. Ever since I found that body on the ground, I've had the gut feeling that Greyson and his pack are dead. Why else would their be a body? Greyson would never have left his pack member like that. Ever since I've found the body I've been having visions of Greyson and I. Visions of us laughing together and making love. He made me happy and now I can't help but to feel as if someone has ripped my heart out from my chest.

I spend my time mostly alone, only making appearances for the sake of the pack. I keep my daughter close to me, any separation becoming unbearable at times. I think it's my wolf's way of making sure I don't lose my baby like I lost our mate. I feel her pain sometimes, it becoming too much for her to hold in. She tries to keep it from me but I can sense her loss, her agony. She's missing her other half, the one that's supposed to make her whole.

Gabe and April have been checking on me constantly, making sure I'm eating and taking care of myself. We've been slowly making this pack a better place, fixing up the houses and we've even started training. Ever since I got my wolf, my strength has been super high. I had been training with the other wolves when I realized how badly I could hurt them after I sent someone flying with one punch. Gabe tells me it's because I have Alpha strength, I'm much stronger than any other pack member.

I try to keep it from the pack that something is wrong, I don't want them to worry. I think they can sense it though because a couple of them have been sending over homemade dishes. Gabe deals with most of the paperwork, telling me to just relax and take it easy for a while. He has already announced our pack to most of the surrounding packs so they know we're here.

Alpha Luke of Bloodwind has invited me to visit his pack as he's throwing a barbeque tonight for all of the surrounding packs so we can all become allies and meet each other. It's a nice gesture but I'm not sure I'm going to go. Gabe has been encouraging me to go, wanting for our pack to have allies just in case we ever run into trouble that we can't handle.

"Come on, get out of bed!" The door opens and April walks in, a dress in her right hand. Her eyes are demanding, she's going to make me get out of bed. "I know you feel like shit but you need to do this for the greater good of the pack." She grabs my hand, pulling me out of bed.

"Fine." I grumble, taking the dress out of her hands.

"Wow, that was easier than I thought." She seems impressed with herself as she holds out a baby dress for me to look at. It's a pretty yellow sunflower dress and I nod my head in approval. "Isn't it just so pretty?" She begins to dress my daughter as I slip into the tight black dress she handed me.

"Don't you think this is a little too much?" I ask, walking out of the bathroom for her to see.

"You look gorgeous." She smirks, her eyes twinkling. "If I didn't have a mate, I would eat you right up." Her words make me blush. "Now we have to do mommy's makeup." My daughter giggles as April blows raspberries on her belly before handing her to me.

*************************************** TIME JUMP *************************

"Come on, it's going to be fun." April says for the fifth time as we drive our way onto Alpha Luke's pack.

"I'm not too sure." My nerves are getting the best of me but I won't let it show, they'll think I'm weak.

When we finally make it onto his land, there are at least thirty cars outside surrounding a large building. His pack lands are beautiful and I'm slightly jealous of the scenery even though it's not my fault. His pack is impressive.

Gabe opens the door for us and we walk in to see hundreds of people dancing and sipping wine. The intimidating presence of the many Alphas has Gabe and April recoiling a little bit, the power within this room becoming too much for them. It isn't long before someone comes up to us, another Alpha who I'm assuming is Alpha Luke.

"Hello Ava, nice of you to join us. You're quite a sight." He winks at me, offering me a flirtatious smile.

"Hello, Luke. Thank you for inviting us." I keep my tone business formal, he could never be anything to me even if he is really handsome.

"Of course, wouldn't want to miss the chance to meet such a beauty. Well enjoy the party and if you need anything don't be afraid to come find me." He winks at me before taking off to talk to another Alpha.

"Well he sure is charming." April comments.

Gabe glares at her. "Don't get any ideas."

Their banter has me giggling, they're always a good time together. I leave them to dance and make my way to one of the tables. I grab a glass of champagne, taking a small sip only to gag from the taste. I keep my eyes on Gabe and April for a moment, watching as they dance around happily.

I only sit for a few more minutes before I begin making my way around the room, forcing myself to socialize with the other Alphas. Most of them are nice, but I find myself wanting to be back home with my daughter. But this is needed for the pack so this is what I will do. I will always put the pack before myself.

I'm about to make my way over to another Alpha when someone calls my name. "Ava?" The disbelief is clear in their voice, I know this voice.

Turning around, Greyson is standing inches away from me, the disbelief and confusion clear on his face. "Greyson?"

The wolf drives me to walk to him, his hands immediately pulling me into his embrace. I no longer have control as my wolf takes over, pushing me into the background of my mind. When he pulls back, he's staring into her eyes and he seems to know this because he nods. Without my consent, she sinks her teeth deep into his neck, marking him as hers.