Part 26

It feels as if I've been running for hours before I finally stop, the adrenaline wearing off. I'm not too sure why I made a dash for the woods, but something is telling me to keep going. Did I run into the woods because I knew the police would have a hard time finding me? Or was it something else?

Strangely I feel a sense of calm as I keep making my way deeper into the woods, my daughter still pressed into my chest. She seems to be doing the same thing as me, her eyes taking in the scenery of the trees and the plants that grow here. I feel safe deep within the woods, as if this is where we both belong.

Pushing past some trees, my daughter begins to cry as we make our way into a large clearing. Gasping, I notice some worn down houses, one looking strangely familiar. There are a few buildings yet the one house calls to me and I find myself making my way over to it. It's worn down, cracked windows and vines growing near the front door. Why does this house feel so familiar? Is it mine? Could this house help me remember?

Reaching my hand up to knock, the door opens slightly as soon as my hand makes contact. "Hello?" I call out, the words echoing back to me. My daughter is silent again and I look down at her before stepping slightly into the house. "Hello?" There is only silence, my own voice filling the small house.

I know this house, I just can't remember where from. I'm determined to remember who I am as I make my way into the empty house, a small shiver running down my spine. The house is dirty, yet it's filled with items that make a house a home. Someone must've lived here, all of their stuff is here. Is it my stuff? Is this where I lived?

Making my way into each room, I look for any sign of life. I didn't see anybody outside near the other homes either, where is everybody? Did I find an abandoned town deep within the woods? Are they coming back?

The questions race through my mind as I make my way into one of the rooms, it looks as if it belonged to a girl. There is a small baby blanket lying on the bed, it's the only clean thing in this house. Walking over to the bed, I reach out and grab the blanket only to be thrown into a vision.

A woman stands in the middle of the room, a baby in her arms as she stands over a crib. She's singing to the baby softly as she rocks it, a loving smile on her face. The door opens quietly and a man enters the room, his smile widening as he stares at the woman and their child. The woman turns her head and quietly shushes the man as he makes his way over to them.

He can't help the smile that keeps widening on his face, he's in love with this moment, in love with her. He can't believe this gift that he's been granted, he has always wanted a family. He wraps his arm over the woman's shoulder and stares down at his daughter who stares up at him with a knowing smile.

It's not long before the baby begins to fall asleep, small eyes shutting to drift off to dreamland. The woman lays the baby gently in the crib before she turns to the man, stepping into his embrace. The two are in love, unable to contain their joy as they both look down at their sleeping child.

"I got her something." The man whispers, careful not to wake the baby. He's holding something in his hand, a light grey baby blanket.

The woman can't contain her gasp, she finds it beautiful. She grabs the soft material, holding it to her chest. "It's so beautiful." She kisses her husband again, her smile growing larger. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Coming out of the vision, the first thing I notice is my daughter staring intently at me. It's almost as if she was watching the vision with me, as if she could understand what was happening. Who were those people in the vision? Do I need to find them?

What if the baby in the vision was me? The woman looked exactly like me, could she be my mother? If she is my mother, where is she? I clutch my daughter tighter to my chest as I make my way out of the house. I need to see if anyone is still living here. I need to find out where I am and if they can help me. I know this place, I know these houses. I don't know what happened to me but I need to find out for the sake of my daughter and I.

My head is pounding as I make my way up the stairs of another house. My heart is hammering in my chest as I knock on the door, silently praying that someone is home. When there is no answer, I peer into the house to see the house is full of furniture and everyday items. Where is everybody? Why did a whole town just leave without any of their stuff? There has to be something more going on here.

After checking every house, I'm left more confused than ever. All of the homes are full of stuff, yet there is no one here, everybody is gone. Where did everybody go? Did they all just leave and abandon me? Or did I leave them?

My heart begins pounding erratically as I make my way back to the familiar house. Just as I'm about to walk up the steps I begin to feel as if my heart is about to explode and it drops me to my knees. Fearing for my baby's safety, I lay her down on her stomach a few inches away from me in case something happens. She stares at me as if she knows what's about to happen, her chocolate brown eyes glowing slightly.

The screams begin to tear from my throat, my hands grasping the dirt for any type of stability. My hands begin to glow purple and that's the last thing I see before my world goes black.