4 - Getting Off The Elevator

Eyes sparkling with curiosity, Ochako stepped forward.

Izuku reached for her hand, and Ochako allowed him to take it. Izuku settled Ochako's flattened palm over the small bump of his stomach and waited.

He watched Ochako's face transform into wonder.

The dampening spell that Izuku used to camouflage the natural luminescence of his skin also seemed to mask the Bean's presence from others, at least from a distance.

The pregnancy didn't remain hidden when someone actually came in contact with Izuku's body.

Even though the Bean was still very small for twenty-eight weeks, the muted roar of Power at his midsection was unmistakable even for someone who was not medical personnel.

Wonder rounded Ochako's eyes.

"Holy shit," she whispered.

Izuku rubbed his eyes with thumb and forefinger.

Yeah. Holy, as it were, shit.

"I'm confused," Ochako said, frowning. "It doesn't seem very big but it's carrying a helluva wallop."

"I'm about twenty-eight weeks along," Izuku told her. He could see Ochako doing the math.

Ochako's frown deepened. "Shouldn't it be bigger?"

"Nobody knows," Izuku said with a tired sigh. "The doctor says he's quite healthy, and that's all that matters. Based on his current development, she's estimating a gestation period between seven hundred thirty and seven hundred fifty days."

He watched the woman do the math again.

Ochako blanched. "You're going to be pregnant for two years."

"Seems likely," Izuku said between his teeth. "Did you know elephants have a gestation period of twenty-two months? Apparently, dragon babies might be more complicated. And before you think to ask, no, I'm not laying an egg so he can gestate the rest of the way outside my body. No, no such luck. This baby's going to be a live birth."

Somehow.

Ochako looked at him in poorly concealed horror. "Won't he have... claws? And not cute tiny, puppy ones?"

"We're a little concerned about that," Izuku said grimly. "And he hasn't yet shown any sign of his human form."

Some Nyr babies were born in their animal form, and others were born in human form. Still others, if they were not already in the same form as their mother, shapeshifted while in uterus, although that was more rare.

"The doctor wants to plan a C-section."

"I see," Ochako pulled her hand away and stepped back.

They had roused the baby.

Izuku felt an invisible presence settle around his neck and shoulders, a bright, fierce loving innocence.

It was a waking version of what he dreamed so often these days, the Bean draping his graceful, delicate white body around him, his long, transparent wings tucked close to his body.

Nobody else but Izuku could sense when he did that, not even Katsuki. He put a hand to the base of his neck with a small, private smile.

"Guess we better get you to Kuju," Ochako said. "You got a job to do."

"I guess we'd better," said Izuku.

"I just want to know one more thing," said Ochako.

Izuku turned to unlock the restroom door. "What's that?"