13 - Yes To The Wood

"Sekijiro was looking forward to meeting you too," Nemuri said. "Unfortunately it looks like he might not be able to do so."

Izuku's attention snapped back to the consort, and he struggled to hide his dismay. "Is he away?"

"In a manner of speaking," Nemuri said. "We have received word that an emissary from Alfheim will be arriving soon."

"Alfheimian Elves?" Izuku's gaze widened.

Alfheim was the Margin Land connected to Europe and the seat of the oldest Elven domain in the world. They had withdrawn from the outside world so long ago that the details of their existence were shrouded in myth.

"I've heard it's rare for them to make contact with the world outside of their borders."

"It is," Nemuri said. "We once lived in Alfheim but have not spoken with our brethren for a very long time. Whatever has compelled them to make this trip must be of overriding importance to them. They would not be comfortable staying in Kuju, and Sekijiro has gone into the Wood to prepare for their visit. After your stay, I will be joining him."

Izuku savored the last of his delicious berry cake, using it as an excuse to take a moment to think.

How much of a roadblock did this represent?

While he didn't exactly have Katsuki's enthusiasm behind this trip, he knew that he had finally gained the man's approval for trying to repair their relationship with the Elves.

As the High Lord's consort, did Nemuri have any independent authority to remove the trade embargos levied against the Nyr domain?

If she didn't, Izuku might very well just be having tea and cookies with her. As enjoyable as getting to know Nemuri was, Izuku did not plan on enduring a separation from Katsuki just for that.

He said slowly, "I was hoping to talk with Sekijiro while I was down here."

Nemuri looked down as she adjusted the position of her fork on the table. She asked, "Might you possibly consider traveling into the Wood for a few days as our guest? I'm sure we would both be honored to have you visit our home."

The wild creature that lived inside of Izuku yelled 'hell yeah' and strained to gallop headlong into the underbrush right then and there. He whacked at it mentally and fought to get in control.

"I would be delighted to visit with you in Adlivun Wood," he said. "If you think Sekijiro would be able to take time from his preparations to meet with me."

Nemuri's smile was positively conspiratorial. "I believe that he might value greatly the effort you would make to speak with him."

"If we did this, we would need to do it right away," Izuku said. "I promised Katsuki I would stay in the Kuju area for just the week."

Nemuri's smile widened. "The Wood does not like machinery, so we must travel in on horseback. Would you be comfortable with that?"

"Certainly," said Izuku, his mind racing.

Of all the contingencies he had packed for, he didn't think to pack for anything like this. Damn. He really would have to go shopping.

"Then we can leave in the morning. Would seven o'clock be too early?"

"That would be fine," he told Nemuri.

Eep, that meant shopping tonight.

Izuku could tell Ochako didn't like the direction things had taken, but he ignored the woman's wooden expression and stiff posture as Nemuri walked with him through the exquisitely decorated showcase mansion.

When he turned to Nemuri just outside the front doors, the Elven woman hugged him. Touched and warmed by one of the few physical gestures of outright affection he had received from anyone outside of Katsuki in months, Izuku hugged Nemuri in return.

"I am so glad that you came," Nemuri said.

"I am too," he told the woman. "Not only is it wonderful to meet you, but it's been especially wonderful to talk with someone who knew and loved my mom. I can't tell you how much I've missed her."

As he turned to walk to the SUVs where the others were waiting, Ochako fell into step beside him.

Izuku managed to bite back saying anything until they were almost to the vehicles. Then he said telepathically, "If you say anything to anyone about what you overheard, I will break every bone in your body."

Ochako's jaw angled out. "Princess getting cranky again?"

"I mean it," he glared at the woman. "That was a private conversation."

"Shew, don't get your fancy boxers in a twist," Captain Psycho opened her eyes wide. "I know who I work for, and it ain't you but he be bad. I figure he would want me to keep my mouth shut about your momma. I also figure he won't like your plans to go on an impromptu camping trip."

They climbed into their SUV.

As soon as the doors were shut, Izuku said aloud, "What Katsuki does or doesn't like is none of your business either, Ochako."

"It's my business when it comes to me doing my job," Ochako said, her expression grim.

"What's going on?" Aki said.

"Princess going to party in the Wood with the Elves tomorrow morning," Ochako said, her voice turning crisp. "So we get to party with the Elves too."

"Sa-weet," said Daigo.

Ochako glanced at Daigo sourly as she continued, "Nemuri said that Wood don't like machinery, and to me that sounds an awful lot like a Margin Land. That means we pack the guns and pull out the swords tonight. Starting tomorrow, we go on rotation and stay with princess twenty-four/seven, no matter where he go, who he see or what he do. It's the only way he's going to get to talk to the High Lord and since that's why we came, that's what we're going to help him do."

Angry, Izuku had opened his mouth to verbally smack down on Ochako, but he held back as he listened.

"She bitch-goddess when she throw down orders like that," Daigo said to Aki.

"You can call me bitch for short," Ochako said.