32 - Pushing Limits

Katsuki didn't stop at the Musutafu City limit.

Instead he continued to fly south until he reached the Nyr/Elven border.

The seven Archaic Races Domains in Japan did not follow any human geography, and state lines were not domain border lines. The Nyr/Elven border cut through the coast of Takoba Beach.

Once he reached Takoba Beach, he decided to pause and think.

He landed on the shoulder by the side of the road. Even though Takoba Beach was several hours' drive away from Musutafu, it was just as gray, cold and dreary as the city had been.

The actual Beach further ahead was where he found Izuku last May.

Still keeping his presence cloaked, he changed into his human form to check voice mail and text messages, scrolling through them quickly while trucks and cars roared past on the interstate.

There. His vision narrowed.

He'd gotten three phone calls from Izuku's iPhone. The first had come in almost two hours ago, and the others had come at intervals of every half hour afterward.

He didn't bother to listen to any of the messages. Instead he punched speed dial.

When a male answered his mate's phone, his talons sprang out and the growl that came out of him shook the ground.

The male spoke rapidly, "... is quite well. This is Tetsutetsu. Again, your mate is quite well. Izuku sent me out of Adlivun Wood to tell you that he is fine, and that he thinks the Wood is interfering with your communication with each other. He gave me his cell phone because he wanted to be sure I reached you, sir, and I promise you, that's the only reason why I'm using his phone right now."

Tetsutetsu.

It took Katsuki a second to place the name.

He was the gargoyle from Izuku's bodyguard team.

Katsuki took a deep breath and relaxed fractionally.

Although he hated the gargoyle's voice coming from Izuku's phone, he said, "Tell me everything."

Tetsutetsu obliged by telling him about their trip into the Wood, along with every detail of the High Lord's home, how Izuku's evening had gone last night and how he had sent Tetsutetsu with the message within minutes of waking up.

As Katsuki listened in silence, he strode south down the shoulder of the interstate while traffic whizzed past, oblivious to his presence.

Snow began to fall in fluffy, fat flakes that swirled over the dark gray land. The snowflakes that fell around him hissed as they boiled to nothing before they reached the ground, until a cloak of mist trailed behind him as he walked.

Fifteen more yards.

He knew it like he knew the back of his own hand, just as he had known to a penny what had been in his original hoard before he downsized it. He knew to a precise inch the many miles of border that surrounded his domain.

Tetsutetsu fell silent after he described flying away from the High Lord's home.

Katsuki asked, "Where are you now?"

"I'm on the north side of the Wood, in Kuju National Forest," Tetsutetsu told him.

"You've done what you were told to do," Katsuki said. "Now go back in."

Ten yards.

"I will certainly give it my best shot," Tetsutetsu said. "But I'm not sure I can. I could feel the Wood close behind me as I left."