19 - Into The Woods

Nemuri looked even more exotic than she had yesterday, her long, dark hair braided for travel.

She wore leggings and a tunic of a rich, soft green cloth, with a bronze jacket so intricately embroidered, it could have been a museum piece.

His phone pinged. The small sound sent a hot prickle over his skin, and his stomach clenched. He glanced down at the screen. He had several text messages.

"Good morning," Nemuri said. "I'm so glad you were able to start early. We can make the journey in one day, but there is quite a lovely resting area where we can stay the night if you find yourself getting too tired. Please don't hesitate to say something if you feel the need to stop."

"Thank you, that sounds terrific," said Izuku. He tried to smile too, but the muscles in his face felt rigid. He hoped his expression didn't look as ghastly as it felt. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but these messages won't wait. I hope you don't mind if I take a few minutes to check them."

"Not at all," Nemuri said. "Your phone won't work in the Wood, so take the time you need now. We can leave whenever you're ready."

"I appreciate that," Izuku told her. "I'll be as quick as I can."

He turned away, his heart knocking like a crazy thing.

Suddenly Ochako was right beside him, asking telepathically, "You all right, princess?"

Izuku's stiff smile died a miserable death, and good riddance to it. "I'll be ready to go in a few minutes, Ochako."

Even to his own mind, he sounded tired.

"Like the lady said, take your time", Ochako said quietly.

The captain stopped at the rear bumper of their nearest SUV and took a casual position, relaxed yet unmistakably standing guard.

Izuku nodded in Ochako's general direction as he stepped between the two vehicles for a modicum of privacy. He was an idiot. He shouldn't have waited so long. He should have checked for messages in real privacy when he had the chance.

As soon as he was a few feet away from the woman, he looked at the screen of his phone again. He had nine text messages from various people. Most of them were from Yuga, who tended to be high maintenance.

Only one text message was from Katsuki. It had been sent a few minutes after he had woken up and turned off his phone.

He clicked the message open and read it.

Kacchan: Talk tonight. Be safe.

His vision blurred.

The message was terse and to the point, as were all of Katsuki's messages, but was it enough?

He had to admit, he had boxed the dragon into a corner in his mind where almost nothing he could have said would have been right, and silence would have been the worst thing of all.

But those four words said a lot. They said the man had backed down and accepted his decision, even though he had to have still been angry when he sent the message.

They weren't enough, but they set a platform and were a promise of more.

Then he was able to take a deep breath for the first time since he had awakened. He texted him back.

Izuku: Yes.

Almost instantly his phone pinged again.