29 - Seeing Grey Eyes Again

"Damn," Ochako sighed. "Okay."

Keiki said, "I still got nothing. I can't pick up on whatever you're sensing."

"That means we have to rely on you," Ochako told Izuku. "And if we aren't going to leave, you need to speak up immediately if you feel it change."

He nodded, frowning. Nemuri had been very kind to him, and it wasn't the consort's fault that events had given her a surfeit of house guests and issues to attend to.

While Izuku was wary of putting himself in the shoes of someone who was so different in race, age and outlook, he couldn't help but do so this time.

Izuku would want someone to tell him if something like that black... thing was lurking anywhere around his home.

He said, "I need to talk to Nemuri."

Even in the shadows, he could see Ochako and Keiki exchange a look.

"For all we know, she might be responsible for it," Keiki said, his voice pitched very low. "Needs to be considered."

Izuku shook his head and spoke just as softly. "I don't believe that. It feels entirely alien from Nemuri's energy, and even though there are some Powerful Elves here, it's possible none of them can sense this anymore than you can."

He looked at Ochako. "You know that experience I mentioned earlier? Katsuki didn't sense what I picked up then either."

Ochako sucked a tooth and looked sour but she said, "All right. Let's go find her."

They walked across the clearing and up the stairs, and Izuku stopped the first Elf in a house uniform that they came to- a woman with hair so blonde it was almost white.

"Please take me to the consort," Izuku said.

The woman regarded him with wide eyes. "Perhaps I can take a message and she can get back to you."

"I know it is late," Izuku said gently. "And I know the consort has been very busy. But I need to talk to her right now, and you need to take me to her."

The Elf's posture grew rigid but she said, "Yes, Deva'i-rani."

"What, you ain't gonna tear her up none? I feel betrayed," Ochako said telepathically. "You lied to me. You ain't got no bitch in you."

"Keep pushing," Izuku told her. "And you'll get to find out how much bitch I've got."

"Sound like a good time to me."

Izuku, Ochako and Keiki followed the Elf through corridors and up a flight of stairs.

They reached the end of a hallway where two attendants stood in front of double doors. Their escort spoke rapidly in Elvish, and one of the other attendants replied.

Izuku asked in Ochako's head, "Any clue what they're saying?"

Ochako turned to Izuku with her most limpid innocent look. "They're arguing."

Apparently Ochako couldn't straighten up and fly right for long.

Izuku angled out his jaw. He told Ochako, "I still hate you passionately."

"Yeah, I'm still surviving, princess."

The Elves' conversation had grown forceful. Finally the door attendant slipped inside the apartment while their escort studied the floor with her mouth folded tight. Clearly the woman felt like Izuku had put her in a bad position, and Izuku supposed he had.