27 - The Deix Machinae And Primal Powers

Just ahead the trees opened up to a small clearing where stairs had been carved into the stony ground, leading downward and reshaping the floor of what must have once been a natural ravine.

On the other side of the stairs, the walls had also been shaped and carved with a graceful, interlocking pattern. Even though he was standing several yards away, the Power of the passageway tugged at him.

He said, "I'm amazed the sculptors were able to keep their equilibrium long enough in the passageway to carve anything, let alone something so intricate and beautiful."

Mei said cheerfully, "They were old," she grinned as all three Nyr laughed. "I meant that. Our ancients are very strong in their affinity to the elements."

"Do you have an affinity to an element?" Izuku asked.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Mine is air."

Izuku blinked as a sudden breeze tickled his cheek.

Mei said, "I'm quite young though, and that's the extent of what I can do. One of our most Powerful ancients could take that same affinity to air and create a storm the size of a massive hurricane," the Elf held up a slim hand. "Not that I'm saying that creating a storm of that size would be a good thing. And one or two of our ancients, the ones who are especially gifted, have an affinity to more than one element. Those tend to be compatible with each other. Fire and air. Water and earth. That sort of thing."

That was the best conversational opening Izuku had seen yet, and he took it. "Speaking of ancients, I hear that Elves from Alfheim are visiting."

A shadow darkened Mei's animated expression. "Yes, although very few people have seen them. They have been closeted away ever since they arrived. I heard one of them might be ill."

Whatever Izuku might have expected to hear, that wasn't it. He wasn't aware Elves could suffer from illness.

"I'm sorry."

Mei shrugged a slender shoulder. "It's gossip. I don't know anything for sure."

"Do your ancients ever talk about why they warred with each other?" Izuku asked.

Daigo and Ochako's silence grew more intense. When he looked over his shoulder, the other two Nyr stood several feet away and appeared to be studying the carved patterns in the passageway.

He could also tell by Mei's wide-eyed glance that he had surprised the woman.

"You know of that?"

It was his turn to shrug.

How much should he admit to knowing?

Keep it simple, stupid.

He answered, "Katsuki is my mate."

That seemed to have more impact than he had expected. Mei's eyes rounded, and she took a deep breath and blew it out.

"Yes, of course," Mei said. "Then you must know of the Deix Machinae."

The whosie whatsit?

Izuku smiled. He replied, "I don't know the details of the story the way you learned it."

Either Mei didn't notice that Izuku was pumping her for information or she didn't care.

The Elf said, "I was taught that there are things on this Earth- Powerful things- that were put here by the gods to enact their will. They have had many forms and have been called many names over time, but ever since the time of the classic Greek poets- Horace, Euripides, Aeschylus and such- they have been called the Deix Machinae, or the God Machines."