7 - Let The Pelistryd Begin

High in the stands, his former First Sentinel Tenya sat quietly with his sister.

Tenya leaned forward, elbows braced on his knees and chin resting on his laced hands, his expression quiet and serious. His sister Momo sat back in her seat, also watching with a serious expression.

Tenya and Katsuki had not talked since an ill-fated cell phone conversation six months ago when they had parted badly.

They had not seen each other since Tenya left the UA Tower under his orders to observe the Vampire Domain and help with the kill order if needed.

Katsuki heard updates, of course. He knew that Momo's quarantine had ended successfully, and that Tenya and Momo had settled in Deika CIty. Katsuki also knew that the other sentinels kept in touch with Tenya, and he did not forbid it.

He had not forbidden Tenya or Momo from entering the Nyr domain either, so he should not have been surprised that they would attend the Sentinel Pelistryd.

A strange, tangled knot of emotion gripped him. He felt the urge to shapeshift and attack, along with something heavier, something like sadness or regret.

Or maybe it was the weight of all the years they had worked together, years that had flown by to become centuries. They had accomplished so much together.

For a very long time, their different natures and talents had showcased each other's so well that Katsuki had once told Tenya he was his best friend.

Or perhaps it was the burden of words they had left unsaid. Words like 'I'm sorry,' and 'how are you.' And, 'you should have fucking said something sooner.'

And especially, 'you left the domain- OUR WORK- for a woman.'

And not just any woman. The former Queen of the Vampires, one-time Archaic Tribunal Councillor, fellow Machiavellian thinker and occasional ally.

The one woman in the entire world Katsuki would not completely trust as family to his First Sentinel.

Which meant that even if Tenya wanted to, Katsuki would never let him work as one of his sentinels again.

Tenya had long thought that he had no one left. It was a surprise when he learned that the Vampire Sorceress was his long lost sister.

All of those words and more, strangled unsaid in his tightened throat, because if it had been him and Izuku, he would have done the same thing. Unquestionably.

It might be a different situation since Izuku is his mate but the comparison might still be the same. He would have left anyone and anything for him, and he still might, over the long unknown years of their future.

For Izuku, he would walk away from what had turned out to be his life's work, the Nyr domain, if he ever had to, and he would do it without a second's hesitation or a second look back.

Damn it.

Tenya was looking back at him, lion's eyes steady.

He realized he had crushed the field microphone as he clenched his hands into fists, and twenty thousand people had fallen into silence.

He gave his former First Sentinel a curt, slight nod, and despite the distance, he knew that Tenya's own sharp gaze would have caught it.

Tenya returned the nod.

Then the Lord of the Nyr turned his attention to his waiting people.

He projected his voice so that it filled the arena.

No speechwriter had written what he said. It was unpolished, blunt, straight to the point and televised.

"A long time ago, I made you a promise. I said there would be law in this domain, and I said it would be a fair one. I told you there would be protection for those of you who could not protect yourselves. As a result, the Nyr domain remains one of the strongest Archaic Races' Domain in the world, and the sentinels are a key part of that promise."

"Six months ago I put out the call, and Nyr from all over the world answered. Every candidate who will fight in this arena has chosen to be here, including each of my current five sentinels who have already served both you and me for a very long time. They could have taken the opportunity these Pelistryd presented to retire with honor. None of them chose to do that."

"Of the others, we have screened each applicant carefully until only the most qualified Nyr will enter this arena. They're smart, experienced and capable, and I would be proud to have any of them stand at my side. But not all of them will. The only thing we have left to discover is which of these contestants are the seven strongest. Those will be the Nyr who will stand by my side on Friday. They will keep the peace, uphold the law, protect our borders and both they and I will hunt down anyone foolish enough to try to harm the Nyr in any way."

"That continues to be my promise to you and to the rest of the world. Today, we start with four hundred and forty-eight contestants- the best and the brightest of the Nyr. Each will fight, and if they lose, they're out, including my current five. Tomorrow, we start with two hundred and twenty-four. Friday morning, there will be fourteen left. By Friday evening, the Nyr domain will have its seven. That way, everyone will know without a shadow of a doubt that the strongest and the best Nyr hold this domain safe."

Then he took a deep breath, filling his lungs. He brought his Nyr form close to the surface and let it glow like lava in his eyes.

With enough Power to shake the entire building, the dragon let out a deep roar.

"LET THE PELISTRYD BEGIN!"

Both the crowd and the contestants surged to their feet and roared with him.

He walked off the floor while the Pelistryd manager took over.

It was a strong beginning to the week, a show of Nyr solidarity to the watching world and no doubt it made damn fine TV.

And, bloody hell, he was glad it was over.

Because he couldn't wait for nightfall.

Izuku had better be able to get to sleep.

If he couldn't, their plans were fucked.