Arriving Jackson.

"Fireflies?"

"I met him back in Salt Lake City. You know the whole shit." Tommy scoffed.

"You didn't say anything about a boy."

"Must have slipped my mind."

They are currently inside the living room area of the ranch house, sharing the space with the horses. And just like predicted, rain started pouring down, making it impossible to return to Jackson just yet.

Tommy went over to sit by the couch.

"From the start. Tell me everything including the boy."

And so Joel did. But Tommy already knew the whole story. He's only interested in the mysterious kid that saved Joel's life just now.

"He killed Marlene. That's some heavy shit."

"Yeah. Marlene seems to know him before. I don't know why he did it. But it happened. The whole Fireflies seems to know him."

After some silence between the two, footsteps can be heard from above. With each step, the thuds get louder, until the person reaches the lower floor, joining them in the living room.

"Here." He gave Joel a can of beverage, then tossed another one at Tommy.

"Thanks." Joel muttered.

"Yeah. Wasn't that often you threatened to shoot someone only for them to treat you afterward isn't it." The three popped open the drink and took a sip.

"Ace was it. What do you wanna talk about?" Tommy asks the boy.

"Your community. Jackson. What are the conditions of joining them?" The boy straight up returned the question.

"There's ain't no conditions actually. Just as long as you're honest, a team player, you're good to go. But I doubt you're someone like that after setting us up in the woods right?"

"On my defense, I didn't know you were there. I planned on shambling the swarm, making sure it's safe for Ana and Jason to go through."

"He's got a point Tommy." Joel agreed with Ace.

"How did bombing scrambles any of em? You're only making it worst. Also we encountered a whole lot more of em while tracking you down." Tommy isn't convinced.

"You do realize that the direction is different right? I bombed them, all the infected would gather there, and I could sneak Ana and Jason from the other side by the river." Now Tommy is intrigued.

"How do you know there's a river?"

"Dude, you really think I came unprepared? I've been here for two weeks, scouting the area. Some travellers told me about this safe haven in Jackson, so here I am." Joel gives Tommy the 'he's right' look.

"Well, maybe after the rain stopped, we'll bring you folks back with us. I'm sure Maria wouldn't mind a few kids joining." Tommy finished his drink in one go.

"Good." Ace took another sip from his drink.

"Why Ace?" Joel asks him.

"Buddy, I killed shit tons of people. I'm not going around, introducing myself, letting them know who I am. I hope that you forget about me and my name too."

"It's (Y/N) right? Yeah. I remember what Marlene said before you put the bullet in her head."

"She deserves it. But, for my sake, and yours as well, call me Ace. At least, out here where it ain't safe."

"I understand. Nicknames and alibis. We could use that too." Joel said, finishing his drink.

"Yeah. Pretty smart for a teenager. How old are you?" (Y/N) finished his drink, went over and ran his hand across the horse's mane. It's addictively comfortable.