A Chance.

A very, very awkward ride back to Jackson as the duo of Ellie and (Y/N) ride the horse in dead silence.

Ellie for sure wants to have some major conversation with him, whether it's their past or impending future.

(Y/N) on the other hand, doesn't show any signs of emotion. But he's actually blushing behind Ellie, given the closeness and constant physical contact of their body on the horse.

They used to be like this when they were young back in the orphanage. Hell, they even shared the same bed and it was natural. Now, might be a little different.

Both are grown ups now. Puberty or some phases, they understand what to do and don't. (Y/N) fell in love with her after they spent some time with one another, but he kept it bottled in because he's afraid of ruining their friendship.

Then it all came through after his confession. The reason? Riley Abel. She's all Ellie would talked about since their first encounter and (Y/N) knew if he didn't do something, he's definitely losing her.

"I really like you Ellie. I want us to stay like this."

The very sentence that ended their years long friendship.

"Uh... I don't know (Y/N). I thought we're the bestest friends."

The audacity of the young auburn girl to friendzone the boy. Oh the horror.

"Here we are. Told you we make it before the sun sets." With the walls and gate in sight, and the sun is only half way through the view, they're nearing Jackson.

"Yeah I see it. If it's anybody, the horse deserves the credit." (Y/N) hopped off, begins walking with Ellie slowly followed on the horse.

"The name's Shimmer. And yes you have both she and me to thank for. Now I'm waiting for your gratitude."

"The horse, yes. You? Hardly." Ellie scoffed at his remark.

"Who do you think came all the way to pick you up? It's me so, you're welcome~" She mocked him playfully.

She didn't notice this but, the last time she was this childish, was during the time she and Joel went out for some guitar strings.

"A good horse makes a good rider." He replied nonchalantly.

"A good rider makes a good ride." She countered. This looks like a kindergarten verbal assault.

"Any ride is good. Even without a rider, the horse is fine on it's own."

"Whatever dude. You just hate the fact that I'm better at horse riding than you."

(Y/N) will not argue with that. First time he rode the horse Winston lent him, he fell off, almost break his neck. And that kind of traumatized him.

The two arrived at the front gate and were checked by the guards.

"Hey Ellie. Everything good?" Chad, the one in charge asks her. He and (Y/N) had the worst first impression so he's not gonna bother with the boy.

"We good. The horde around Alpine Valley has been cleared for now. We can resume our patrol there soon." She descend the horse and let the groom took Shimmer away.

"Good to hear. I'm sure Maria needs to be informed. She's at the diner."

"Now that's a music to my ears." Ellie patted (Y/N) by the shoulder. "Let's go."

The boy followed without any word. Chad and the other guards looked on as the boy walked further inside the community.

"You really think he took care of it by himself?" One of them asks.