Confession.

Ellie and Cat were hanging out as promised after the girl returned from her patrol. And what happened between her and Joel is definitely causing the changes in mood.

Was it about Joel? Or was it about (Y/N)? She's majorly confused.

One was who she wished to stay away from and apparently he granted her wish. Sort of.

The other would be the awkwardness she felt after what he told her.

She ghosted (Y/N) for telling her his true feelings. Then comes Joel who she ghosted for keeping secret. This is a weird freaking twist.

"Ellie? You okay?" Cat called her out, snapping her back to reality. The girl has been in her own mind zone for the last few minutes.

"Huh? Yeah...yeah. I'm fine. Just the after effect of the patrol. Need some rest, that's all." She faked a smile.

"Well, if you told me from the start, we could just hang out at your place."

Ellie felt like she's the idiot here.

"We could still do that."

"No. It's fine. You go and rest. I'll see you again tomorrow. Take care." Cat leaned in and gave a quick peck on her cheek, inches away from her lips.

"Bye~"

The Asian chick walked away, leaving the auburn girl by herself who's grinning stupidly.

Returning to her place, she stumbled upon Joel. And he's not alone.

Along with Tommy, they're sitting at the public bench, watching Ana and Jason enjoying themselves at the playground.

Ana playing the slide with some other kids from the place. She made some friends thanks to Maria of course.

Them there's the boy smothering himself in the sand.

"You serious? The boy said that?"

Tommy can't believe what he heard from his brother's mouth. About how (Y/N) wanted to leave Jackson.

"Yeah... I'm still debating how to approach him. Either I just tell Ana about it, let them talk to each other like me and Ellie used to back then, maybe, just maybe..."

"And what if he doesn't budge? Kid doesn't seem like the second thought kind of person."

"Hmph..."

Ellie couldn't make out what they're saying. But judging from Joel's expression, it's not something enjoyable.

Either he's telling Tommy about what happened at the outpost in Wilson Valley or something else.

Turning around, she jumped back, shocking herself by the appearance of her old friend, (Y/N).

"Jesus! How long have you been standing there?"

No answers were given. (Y/N), with both his hands in his pockets, shrugged at her question. He soon shifted his gaze towards the playground. Or more specifically, the two children playing there.

Ellie noticed this and she turned towards them as well. It took a moment for her before she decided to speak up.

"Is it true that the reason you're here is because of them?"

A beat.

(Y/N) didn't say anything just yet. Just keeping his eyes in them. Ellie turned towards him.

"Well?"

"And if I say yes?"

"By dropping them off, you think that's gonna solve your problems?"