Loss

Mace was sitting with his brother back home in Storm's End when he had heard the news of Queen Aemma's death. Boremund had broken the news to his two sons and Mace had no idea what to say to this.

"We ride for the Queen's funeral at first light," Boremund said as he walked away from them, "Be sure to have packed a bag and sleep well. I do not want to be having problems in the morning."

Borros continued to eat as their father left the room. Mace pushed away his plate as he had lost his appetite, "I feel awful for the Targaryens. Such a loss is not easy to recover from."

"Who cares?" Borros arrogantly said, "The King will move on and have married again. It would be like the previous Queen was never there." He bit into a sausage link as Mace rolled his eyes.

"But she was here," Mace argued as he stood from his chair, "The Princess is proof of it. Queen Aemma was her mother. It is disrespectful to say such a thing, Borros."

"But it's true," Borros told him, "Kings need heirs. Rhaenyra will not fill that position I'm afraid."

Mace sighed as he shoved his plate to his brother, "You can have my plate. I'm not hungry anymore."

"You are leaving?" Borros asked as he grabbed the plate. Mace turned back to his brother, "No, I gave you my plate and cleaned my side of the table because I am going to stay. I am obviously leaving, half-wit."

"Just asking, idiot," Borros scoffed as he continued to eat. Mace left the room as he went to his chambers, packing a bag of formal clothing and small books from the libraries to read for the journey.

First light came and the carriages were ready for House Baratheon to make its way to King's Landing. Mace read from his book as Borros drank his wines and slept the entire way.

The time came when the Baratheons arrived and were announced to the courts. Everything was ready for Queen Aemma's funeral and everyone made their way to a small cliffside where Syrax, the Princess's mount, sat on a small mountainside.

Mace had his head down as Borros bounced on the balls of his feet, and watched as the body of Queen Aemma was placed onto the pyre.

Viserys stares solemnly at the pyre that also had Prince Baelon, the small babe who had only lived for a day. Mace's eyes shift to Princess Rhaenyra who stared at the pyre as well, tears streaming down her face.

Prince Daemon approaches her from behind and softly whispers in her ear, "They're waiting for you."

Alicent looks toward Rhaenyra, but the Princess's eyes never leave her mother's pyre.

"I wonder if, during those few hours my brother lived, my father finally found happiness," Rhaenyra said in High Valyrian as Daemon looks over at Viserys.

"Your father needs you," Daemon answered back, "more now than he ever has."

"I will never be a son," Rhaenyra muttered as more tears streamed down her face. They both turn to look at Viserys who stands with slightly hunched shoulders, a sad look in his face.

Rhaenyra steps forward and looks to Syrax. The dragon roars as Rhaenyra struggles to give her dragon the command, "Dr.."

Mace peered over at Rhaenyra and at her yellow she-dragon. The youngest Baratheon boy feared the dragons. He did not understand how one could claim them and ride them. It made no sense, at least to him. He shuddered everytime they roared and practically heard their loud roars all the way from Storm's End.

It was frightening.

Syrax gives a low growl as Rhaenyra looks toward Viserys as he stares off. She turns her head sharply towards Syrax, "Dracarys!"