One Last Time

Before he had rode his way to King's Landing, Mace cleaned himself up and dressed in his House colors. He wore his father's ring and a belt that showed off his waist. His sword hung gracefully from it as he mounted his horse and made his way to the city.

Rain had begun to pour as Mace rode through the Kingswood, commanding his beautiful horse to go faster. He had to get to Rhaenyra.

The events of earlier that day only confirmed a long lasting doubt that lingered inside of him for months.

King's Landing came up in the near distance and a wave of anxiety came washing over him. He came through the King's Gate, people greeting him as "the Baratheon boy" or "the young Baratheon lad."

He made it to the castle, the Targaryen household guards let him in and he greeted them humbly.

"Ser," Mace said to one of them, and the guard nods.

"Is there something we can help you with Ser Mason?" The guard asks and Mace takes a deep breath. The guards all over the castle knew of the Baratheon's story as well as the reputation he had earned as the "Bruised Knight." So it did not come as a surprise that this knight knew his name.

"Is the Princess here?" Mace asks, "I, uh, need to speak with her urgently."

The guard thinks on it, "I believe she may be headed to a council meeting but I can pass on the message to Ser Criston."

"Ser Criston?" Mace asked and the guard nodded.

"One of the newest members of the Kingsguard, of course. He is her sworn knight."

"Right," Mace replied, wanting to forget he even asked the question. "Yes, just let him know that I need to see Rhaenyra. Please."

"Right away, my Lord," He bows his head and stomps down the hall. He sits by a stone bench waiting as servants and lords pass by. He anxiously ran his hands down his knees as he waited for any sign of Rhaenyra.

His anxiety grew worse as he decided that he was going to tell her himself.

In the Princess's chamber, she sat comfortably in front of the mirror and brushed through her long pale hair. A knock came at the door and she commands whoever it was to come inside.

Ser Criston comes in, bowing respectfully and she smiles at him.

"What is it, Ser Criston?" She asks and he removes his helm.

"A household guard has informed me that you have a visitor who comes with urgent news," Criston informs her and her face shifts into that of worry.

"Is everything alright?" She questions and Ser Criston shrugs.

"There is no way to know, Princess. But the guard mentioned that this urgent request comes from the youngest Baratheon: Ser Mason." Ser Criston says and Rhaenyra's stomach drops at that. She instantly puts down her brush and walks past him.

"Princess!" Criston calls after her.

"Where is he?" She asks the guard standing outside the door, who had delivered the message.

"Down by the courtyard entrance, Princess," The guard informs her and Rhaenyra nodded.

"Princess! The meeting!" Criston urges but Rhaenyra ignores him. She races to the courtyard entrance, people bowing their heads at her as she swiftly passed them by. As she turns the corner to the entrance, all she sees is an empty hallway.

The guard and Ser Criston appear behind her and they too look for the Baratheon boy.

"I thought you said he was here, Ser," Rhaenyra sternly says to the guard and he points to the hallway.