Messing with Dragons

Mason had gone to sleep for a couple of hours, trying to sleep off the crazy amount of drinking he had done the night before.

But when he stirred awake, he had to run to the window to throw up the contents of his stomach. He coughed as he collapsed onto the floor, holding his pounding head.

The sound of someone approaching him made him lift his head. It was Maris, trotting over from the connecting room to see if her father was alright.

"Why sick?" She asked and Mace stroked his daughter's hair as she got closer.

"I must have had something bad to eat," Mace said as he burped. "Oops, sorry." Cassandra came screaming into the room making Mason wince.

"I want to go play outside!" Cassandra yelled as she grabbed her father's arm, trying to pull him up.

"Would you please lower your voice, Cassandra?" Mace sighed as he cringed.

Mason winced at the sudden noise, his head throbbing with each word Cassandra shouted. He gently disentangled himself from her grasp, struggling to rise to his feet.

"I'm sorry, my girl," he murmured, his voice strained. "But your father's not feeling well today. Perhaps we can play inside instead?"

Cassandra pouted, her disappointment evident, but she reluctantly accepted her father's offer. "Okay, Father."

"Alright, get out of your sleeping garments and we'll get to it then," Mace smiled as the two girls ran back into the connecting chamber.

Maris, ever the observant one, had fetched a damp cloth and placed it on Mason's forehead, offering what little comfort she could.

As Mason sat on the edge of the bed, his stomach churning and head pounding, he couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt.

Mace walked down the hall with Cassandra holding onto his right hand and Maris on his left. Their handmaiden walked behind them, wanting to join in on their fun. As they turned the corner, Otto Hightower came into view.

Mace kept his head down as he continued to walk down the hall. Right as Otto was to pass by them, he stands in front of the trio.

"Sorry, my lord," Mason muttered as he tries to get his girls to maneuver around them.

"Rough night, Ser Mason?" Otto asked as he lowered his voice. Mace looked up at him, trying to give him a polite smile but he could not without being pained by the incoming sunlight from the windows.

"Certainly," He says as he tries to move once again but Otto blocks them. Mace breathes out a long sigh as he turns to Celia, who without a word, knew what Mason was trying to tell her.

"Come on, girls," Celia says as she grabs Cassandra and Maris's hands, who both cried out for their father who they wanted to join them.

"Why isn't Father coming?" Cassandra whined as Maris kept looking back.

"I am assuming you want to tell me something," Mace mutters out tiredly.

Otto nods, "Did your night not go to plan?"

"It did not," Mason said as he looked up at him, "But you already knew that, right?" Otto lifts his brows and leans in close to his ears.

"Had your night with the Princess been successful, you would be tarnishing her reputation. Yet she did that all by herself," Otto says and Mason tightened his jaw.

"That has been your job as of late, lord Hand," Mace says as Otto leans away, "Your job is to the King and yet you spy on his daughter. Don't think your behavior goes unnoticed."