Seeing Her Again

Mace stands in the crowd, watching as King Viserys steps out of the carriage and holds Aegon for everyone to see. Alicent steps out as well and Mace swallows hard, expecting Rhaenyra to come out.

"All hail Aegon the Conqueror babe! Second of his Name," Hobert Hightower cheers and Elenda claps beside Mace.

"Here's to his Grace on his second name day!"

"A cute babe," Elenda says, observing Aegon as he is held up. "But ours is cuter. Wouldn't you say so?"

Mace laughs as he turns to Cassandra who is clapping, "Of course I do." Alicent and Viserys step out into the crowd and Mace grows nervous, deciding to leave.

He can't take the nerves. He was so excited to see her but the actual sight of her was too much. He wasn't ready.

"Where are you going?" Elenda asked and Mace turns to her.

"I'll be nearby, I just need to..." He sees Rhaenyra finally step out of the carriage as the people begin to disperse, "Get some more air."

"What about Cassandra?" Elenda calls out and he shouts back.

"I got her!" He reassures her as he disappears into the treeline. Elenda frowns as she sees Rhaenyra come out of the carriage and disappear into the royal tent. Now she knew the reason why her husband was tense.

Rhaenyra walks into the tent, looking around at all the lords and ladies interacting with one another. She observed how Alicent sat with many ladies and they all discussed Prince Daemon and the mess in the Stepstones.

"Perhaps the Princess can give us some insight," Lady Redwyne says as Rhaenyra awkwardly walks over and smiles at all the ladies.

"Oh, I'm not sure how I could." She chuckles, "I've never been to the Stepstones."

"Your dear uncle is the great mind behind this war. Is he not?" Lady Redwyne asks and Rhaenyra shrugs.

"I wouldn't know. I've not spoken to Daemon in years."

"Since you supplanted him as heir," Lady Ciera quips and Alicent tries to come to Rhaenyra's defense.

"Daemon made his choices, Lady Ceira. The Princess was more suited to the role." Alicent says, flashing Rhaenyra a smile but she looks away.

"He's made a mess and the King must put an end to it. Send fleets and men and clear out the Triarchy for good." Lady Redwyne suggests and Rhaenyra laughs.

"But the Crown is not at war," Rhaenyra counters.

"The Crown... is at war, Princess." The lady argues as she strokes her pug's hair, "Though your father refuses to admit it, we've been dragged into it by your uncle and the Sea Snake."

Rhaenyra looks down at her clasped hands, "And how have you served the realm of late, Lady Redwyne, by eating cake?"

Lady Redwyne is offended by this as her dog eats at the cake on her plate. Rhaenyra sighs and walks away.

As Rhaenyra makes her way out of the tent, she looks around for the one man she came all this way to see. Instead, she finds the woman he is married to and cradling their child.

She decides to take a leap  and speak to her, "Lady Elenda," Rhaenyra acknowledges, refusing her to call her "Lady Baratheon."

"Princess," Elenda bows her head, holding Maris in her arms.

It was an awkward encounter for both sides.

"It has been a while since I have seen you," Rhaenyra tries to make small talk with her but Elenda seems tired.