We Are Friends

Mace wakes up groggy with an arm wrapped around his stomach. He panics for a moment before remembering why there was someone in his bed.

He rubs his eyes and tries to get out of bed before Elenda pulls on his arm.

"Where are you going, Mason?" She asks and Mace tightly smiles at her.

"I am needed elsewhere," Mace answers as Elenda scoffs. She lets him go as he stands and puts on some pants. He grabs a tunic as Elenda sits up, covering herself. She admires him as Mace quickly puts on the tunic and ruffles his hair.

"Why are you in such a rush?" Elenda asks as Mace turns to her.

"You need to go," Mace tells her and Elenda is confused.

"Wow, are you really going to act as if we did not just share the best night together," Elenda says as Mace sighs.

"Please just go," Mace says as Elenda grabs one of Mace's blankets and wraps herself in it, "My father or Borros can't see us like this."

"It's all right, Mason," Elenda reassures him as he walks up to her, helping her hurry out of the room.

"Please hurry. Come on," Mace urges her as he wraps an arm around her, walking to the door.
Mace opens the door, peeking his head out in one direction and is startled when he sees his father right in front of him.

"Father," Mace mutters and Boremund crosses his arms, and suspiciously stares at Mace who subtly closes the door a little to hide Elenda, "Something wrong?"

"Open the door," Boremund demanded and Mace shook his head.

"No, thank you," Mace smiled forcefully as Boremund put a hand on the door and looks down at his son.

"I warned you about sleeping around when we are traveling," Boremund told him, "Have you turned into Borros?"

Mace looks up at his father, slightly offended by the comparison, "I'm nothing like him. I'm not a man-whore."

"Then quit acting like it," Boremund spat out, "You do not know the problems that we would be in if—"

"If what?" Mace asked as Elenda furrowed her brows as she listened behind the door.

Boremund sighed, "You are young, Mason. And have a full life to live before you are burdened with duties and marriages. Don't cut it short with a possible consequence coming out of your little dates with your whores. I have given this  speech to Borros one too many times, make sure I don't have to say it again to you. So get her out of here."

He turns to walk away as Mace goes to close the door.

"She is not a whore," Mace mutters under his breath and Boremund quirks a brow, turning around.

"What was that?" Boremund asks as Mace peeks through the door again.

"Nothing," Mace answers and Boremund leaves, "That's what I thought." He watches his father go and around the corner comes Princess Rhaenyra, holding hands with Alicent, rarely enough.

"Oh shit," Mace closes the door quickly and faces Elenda who was still wrapped in a blanket.

"Who was that?" Elenda asks as Mace has his hands on the door, listening for the sound of Rhaenyra and Alicent walking by, their conversation slightly muffled.

"It's no one. Everyone is out to get me this morning," Mace tells himself as Elenda puts a hand on his shoulder.

"I still don't understand why you being seen with me is such a bad thing," Elenda chuckles and Mace's brows knit together.