A New Heir

Viserys sits on the throne, waiting for his brother to come inside. Daemon strides in, his long pale hair swinging as he makes his way further inside.

"You cut the image of the conqueror, brother," Daemon says as he steps further. He stares at the Kingsguard and stands before the King. He puts his hands in front of him and is about to speak when Viserys speaks first.

"Did you say it?" King Viserys asks as Daemon raises his brows.

"I don't know what you mean," Daemon plays coy.

"You will address me as "Your Grace," or I will have my Kingsguard cut out your tongue," Viserys threatens and Daemon purses his lips.

"The Heir for a Day." Did you say it?" Viserys asks once again and Daemon shifts in his stance. He takes a moment to think about his answer as he stares at the Kingsguard who all look at him.

"We must all mourn in our own way, Your Grace," Daemon answers.

"My family has just been destroyed!" Viserys tells him as holds Blackfyre tighter.

"But instead of being by my side, or Rhaenyra's, you chose to celebrate your own rise!" Viserys shouts and Daemon is no longer smirking but rather silently listening, "Laughing with your whores and your lickspittles! You have no allies at court but me! I have only ever defended you! Yet everything I've given you, you've thrown back in my face!" Viserys is deeply hurt by his brother's actions but Daemon feels just as angry.

"You've only ever tried to send me away. To the Vale, to the City Watch, anywhere but by your side," Daemon lists and his voice gets louder, "TEN YEARS you've been king, and yet not once have you asked me to be your Hand!"

"Why would I do that?" Viserys asks incredulously.

"Because I'm your brother," Daemon argues and Viserys is at a loss for words, "And the blood of the dragon runs thick."

"Then why do you cut me so deeply?" Viserys questions as Daemon looks down at his feet.

"I've only ever spoken the truth," Daemon mutters, "I see Otto Hightower for what he is."

"An unwavering and loyal Hand?" Viserys says as if it were obvious.

"A cunt!" Daemon shouts.

Viserys leans back in his chair as his brother goes on, "A second son who stands to inherit nothing he doesn't seize for himself

Viserys leans back in his chair as his brother goes on, "A second son who stands to inherit nothing he doesn't seize for himself."

"Otto Hightower is a more honorable man than you could ever be," Viserys argues but Daemon knows it is not true.

"He doesn't protect you," Daemon explains, "I would."

"From what?"

"Yourself," Daemon answers plainly, "You're weak... Viserys. And that council of leeches knows it. They all prey on you for their own ends."