Humiliation

Ser Harrold stood at the door as Maester Mellos and a few knights carried the unconscious and scrawny boy to the bed. The Baratheon knight was in terrible shape. His nose was broken, his eyes were purple and bruised and his right arm broken and the left shoulder was dislocated. His left leg was broken, as well.

Maester Mellos grabbed a wooden bowl full of milk of the poppy.

"Whoever did this is no friend to this boy," Mellos whispered as he set a pillow to rest Mace's head.

"This is the knight who was recommended?" A knight asked and Harrold nods.

"I assure you the boy I trained would never have allowed this to happen," Harrold mutters as the maester examines the extent of Mace's injuries.

"We are going to have to pop his arm back in," Mellos observes and a groan escapes from Mace's lips.

"No...please don't," Mace mumbles as he squirms in the bed. He grunts in pain, holding back a terrible scream.

Ser Harrold approaches the bed, "What happened to you, Ser Mason? Who did this?"

No response came from him as he slipped in and out of consciousness. Mace's eyes opened and his weak hand gripped Ser Harrold's and the knight held it.

"My mother...." Mace whispered as Ser Harrold leaned in to listen, "I want my mother..."

He looks to Mellos who shakes his head. Mace's mother was dead. She has been for years.

"Can you get my mother?" Mace pleaded and Ser Harrold leaned in.

"Your mother will be here," Harrold promises as he held his hand tightly , "She's coming."

Mace sighed in relief as he laid his head back down. Mellos came forward and ordered Mace to open his mouth and the Baratheon boy barely opened it.

The milk slowly poured into his mouth and the maester wiped his lips.

"I am sorry, my Lord. But even with the milk of the poppy, I am afraid this will hurt," Mellos says and another younger maester came forward and put a gentle hand on Mace's arm.

"Again, I am sorry," Mellos says as he nods to the maester.

CRACK.

And just like that, maesters spent the entire day tending to the Baratheon boy.

Hours had passed and Rhaenyra was still unaware of the attack. King Viserys had been sending the best maesters to deal with his daughter's friend. When the young knight woke up, the knights who had come to check on him in his room insulted him and poked fun at the boy.

His head was pounding as he looked up at the knights, "My legs are broken, not my ears. I can still hear, you bastards." Mace said through his teeth as their smiles fade.

"I'll inform the maester that you are awake, Ser," The knight says as he leaves the room. Mace struggles to breathe as his nose was wrapped carefully and his arm was also wrapped and put in a makeshift splint.

Mace trembled and took a deep breath in.

"Stupid," Mace murmured to himself, and tears began to form in his eyes, "I am so stupid...."

Mace lifts his left arm that was mildly sore and wiped his eyes. He felt embarrassed and small. He needed to change. This was unacceptable. A knock came from the door and it opened to reveal Ser Harrold holding his helmet. Mace rolls his eyes at the sight of him.

Seeing him only reminded him of the thing he lost. His position.

"I thought that miserable cunt was going to get the maester. Not the fucking Lord Commander," Mace breathes out as he looked away. Harrold looks down at the floor, feeling pity.