chapter 5;;

once i get home that night, i pull my journal out of my bedside drawer and open up to a fresh page. i'm deciding that i'm not going to tell the guys about my newfound epiphany. it just won't end well if i do. instead, i'll write everything down.

i'm hoping that by the time saturday, rolls around, y/n feels better. i really want to take her someplace special. i can't imagine taking anyone else. and now that i'm aware of my very real feelings, i don't want to screw this up. she can never find out about the bet. never.

luckily, y/n feels like brand new by the end of the week. i went over after school everyday to bring her any assignments and to check on her condition. her fever went away after a few days and she regained color in her face.

"why won't you tell me where we're going?" she giggles as she searches through her closet for a scarf. although it's not technically winter yet, it'll be pretty cold on our date today.

"because it's a surprise. you like surprises."

"i do, but i'm still curious."

i spot a scarf on the top shelf and put it around her neck, tugging her closer gently. "patience is a virtue, you know." i say while tying the warm fabric.

"you should know by now that i'm too impatient."

"i'm well aware." i grab an extra hat i brought for her and fit it over her head snuggly. "there. you're all ready now."

"don't you think this is a little excessive?" she chuckles as she gestures to herself. i made sure she wore a warm scarf, a hat, warm socks, boots, a heavy coat, and a cozy hoodie underneath.

i shake my head. "not at all. i'm not letting you get sick again."

"i look like i'm about to go into a snowstorm."

"you look adorable." i pinch her cheeks. i lean forward to kiss her but instead feel her pull my hat over my eyes. "hey!" i adjust it back up.

she laughs out loud. "let's go." she walks out her bedroom door and leaves me staring after her, completely falling more and more and more.

(🧸)

we get to our destination a little while later and y/n looks at me with a worried expression as i grab two pairs of skates out of the trunk. "we're ice skating? i don't really know how to do that."

i chuckle quietly. "you'll be fine." she follows me over to a bench where i put on my skates. she seems to struggle with how to do so, so i take them and kneel in front of her. "here, let me."

"do you come here a lot?" she asks as i tie the laces on the skates.

"no, not anymore. i don't skate as much these days."

"how come?"

"it's not as fun by myself." i look her in the eyes. "when i skated when i was younger, the rest of the kids were all girls who wanted nothing to do with me. it started to become lonely after awhile."

"is that why you stopped doing it professionally?"

i nod. "and for fun. it just didn't make me as happy anymore." i grab her hand and help her stand up from the bench. "you know, this is actually the rink i first learned to skate on."

she smiles while looking at me. "really?"

"mhm. my mom would take me here every friday after school in the winter."