01 ☆ birth of a star

๑ MODELS CAN NEVERHAVE FRIENDS

MODELS CAN NEVER
HAVE FRIENDS. 

birth of a star chapter 01

When I turned eleven, my mother and I went to the mall to buy me new clothing

When I turned eleven, my mother and I went to the mall to buy me new clothing. It consisted of pearly buttons, black ribbons, stifling heels, and a quarter-ton of stiff fabric. At that time, I couldn't count past three zeroes, and when I asked her how many our bills had totaled up to, she told me seven.

I remember her handing the cashier her black card at the so-tteok stand there, a bewildered look crossing the lady's face. Mother never told me about how famous she was at the time nor what her upbringing was to have the money she had, so I always assumed she was born that way. Many times, I dreamt of being that rich, achieving the careless spending like she could but triple that amount. I desired to buy red heels, dresses with open backs, leather bags, and the relaxation that millions could only think of.

As we were on the way out of the mall with her escorts holding our bags and her hand in mine, I lifted my head to see her. "Mom," Eleven-year-old me began, her ignorant hum acknowledging my existence. "Why are we buying all this stuff? What are we going to do with it?"

"Why are you asking? You should be grateful for what you're given," Her annoyed tone caused me to lower my head, briefly uttering an apology. "You should know why we're here—I plan on making you the best model South Korea has ever seen, Sora. You will be a star. You will learn to make me proud. You have the ideal face, but now, you need the image."

And as the automatic doors opened for us, Mother letting go of my hand to make sure all the items were still in her escorts' hands, we walked out into the shining light.

At eleven, my soon-to-be future flashed before my eyes. The blinding spotlight, a crowd of icons, and bejeweled outfits. I walked down the path in brand-new sneakers, each leg before the other as I envisioned my adult self owning the walkway. My plans of being a model were set in stone, like destiny, and I was going to achieve it no matter what.

Like Mother desired, it had been done. That day, she gave birth to a star.

The makeup artist applies my lipstick softly despite the rush of our countdown. "Sorry that I was late, Ms. Kwon," She apologizes, bowing her head as she goes back for more tint. "They didn't let me in because I wasn't working with their company. I had to tell them you hired me yourself."