Living with Mom

The following morning started with the normal routine the girls were fairly easy to get ready and half the breakfast was on the kitchen table or floor. The only that was out of places was my mother, for some reason she insisted on joining us this morning.

"What really brought this on mother because I know that it's not out of want to observe the kindergarten?" I asked as soon as we pulled into traffic.

"Why must you always think me to have some ulterior motive Claire?" I gave her a flat look in response. "Fine, your father told me about you and Nate and then I couldn't help but notice him leaving the house the other day, in the morning."

"Before you go ahead further, nothing happened. Cole and I are fully aware of your 'no sex in the house' rule." I whispered the last part as the girls were still sitting next to me. "Secondly, yes Nate and I are seeing each other and before you start, I know that the situation looks bad but quite frankly I do not care it's the happiest I have felt for the longest time."

"I can see that Claire, I may seem cold and uncaring but I want you to be happy." I was waiting for the 'but', "but..." and there it was "...we do not live a world where we can just do whatever we want. The eyes of society are on us and you must consider this." She was not wrong, when the word gets out that Nate and I are an item the press will have a field day.

"I know you have a point but we will cross that bridge when we get to it."

"That is not how we handle things Claire you need to approach this head on and upfront so later there will be no surprises." I was about to answer her but in that moment we pulled up to the kindergarten.

"I am going to take the girls inside." After bringing the girls to their room, I went to discuss with the headmistress to ensure that unless she has strict instructions from me no one was authorised to pick the girls up from the school. It was just a precaution in case their father decided to take matters into his own hands I don't want him attempting to kidnap the girls.

Walking back to the car I thought about what I was going to say to my mother, her point was valid, it's better to face this head on. On one hand my relationship with Nate is very new and it would be great to have some time to get a handle on all this before having it thrown to the wolves we call the press. On the other hand, I have to consider the girls-my unofficial adoption is already creating a buzz and with the return of their father, it's only a matter of time before that gets out and it is going to be a mess. It's moments like this is what led me to end up in that departure lounge to begin with; one thing at a time. Getting back into the car I started to speak before I could hear any more of her lecture.

"Very well mother, I have considered advice and as I said before you were not wrong, therefore I will speak to Nate and we will figure something out."

"Thank you that is all I wanted. We have to ensure that our family name is not dragged through the mud because of this." I knew she wanted to add 'scandalous affair' but the fact that she didn't meant a lot to me.

Arriving at work thirty minutes late really threw off my morning, as we I hadn't expect mother to join us this morning we had to take the detour towards the Country Club.

"I already moved your appointments back so there is no rush. You did get a call from the Strauss Estate regarding this year's Charity Masquerade Ball."

"Was it George?" George was a long-time friend of the family and last I heard his health was waning-thinking about it now it's been long overdue my visit to the Strauss Estate.