Where to go from here..

Feeling the warm caress of the sunlight seeping the curtains I decided it was time to greet the morning or was it the afternoon. Opening my eyes slightly as to adjust to the light I attempted to stretch out my sore limbs. The memory of how these aching limbs came about seeped into my mind causing me blush slightly, the absolute bliss I felt last night in Nate's arms nothing could compare.

As I turned around to look upon the man responsible for my current euphoria the sudden feeling of abandonment washed over me, Nate's side of the bed was indeed empty and cold. Never would I have thought Nate to be so callous type to leave me alone to endure the morning after; obviously ashamed and regretful he left me alone and rejected.

Doing my best to brush off this feeling, after all we are both adults and he isn't obligated to stay with me, though it would have been nice, I made my way to the toilet as the morning routine calls.

After splashing a bit of cold water on my face I started to feel slightly more awake, as I reached for my toothbrush I heard the bedroom door creak open. Obviously my curiosity was peaked, was Nate trying to sneak back as though he never left? My question was answered before I even got the chance to open the bathroom door,

"No in bed." I heard one of the twins spoke,

"Not in bed? Are you sure?" I couldn't see the exchange but I could imagine the reply Nate got was a vigorously shaking head. "Let's go check together then, hmm?"

I waited for a few more seconds before opening the door revealing myself to the three of them standing in the hallway; Nate holding Emmy on his hip and Amy's hand with his own free hand.

"Auntie Claire!" Amy pulled away from Nate's hand and crashed into my legs smiling up at me, immediately I picked her up returning her infectious grin.

"Safe to say you missed me?" I gently pinched her cheeks causing her to giggle.

"They both did. The first thing they did was ask for you when they came in but I told them to let you sleep and took them out for breakfast, we picked up something for eat as well."

"You should have woken me anyways." My response admittedly was on the harsh side but the sting from waking up alone was still there, "I don't need you making decisions for me." I continued without even looking at him.

"Emmy, Amy why don't you finish watching your show while Aunt Claire gets ready for breakfast?" The tone of Nate's voice left no room for argument and it seemed both girls could tell this as they raced back to the makeshift living room we had in place with the I-pad as a mini-TV.

"What?" I crossed my arms over my chest and met his cold stare with one of my own.

"I'd like to know what that was all about Lex, I would like to say 'did you get up on the wrong side of the bed' but knowing quite well how much you enjoyed last night I find that difficult to believe." It was my turn to look at him in disbelief, had he really just made reference to last night as though it was some kind of meaningless rumble between the sheets? Or was that what it really was, just sex? Have a managed to lose my best friend because I couldn't control myself?

"Lexi, Lex! Are you listening to me? What's wrong with you?" Nate's expression looked a tad annoyed as I suppose I stood there for a while contemplating my next step ignoring his questions.

"I am Nate, I hear you loud and clear," I released a defeated sigh and closed my eyes, maybe it's better not bring this is up and instead just to let it go. Clearly this was all a mistake, a moment of weakness on both our parts, something we both regret.

At least I don't regret it happening, honestly last night was probably the best night of passionate love I've ever experienced and to share that with Nate just made it all the more special. But now I could see it ruining what we have and I can't lose Nate, not like this.

"I'm going to get ready so we can get on the road. the sooner we get back to New York. The better and it can be as though this never happened."

"Lexi..."

"Please Nate, let's just forget about it, please....?"

He didn't respond at least not with words, just simply one curt nod of his head and turned towards the kitchen. As I watched him walk away I couldn't help but notice the rigidness of his gait, he was angry that I was sure but so was I, the question was I angry him or myself.

After breakfast, which consisted of some kind of breakfast burrito with eggs and bacon, the idea behind it was a little foreign to me but the girls had picked it out and was excited to see me eat so in effort not to disappoint I ate every last bite.

However, now one hour into our journey back I was beginning to feel slightly queasy.

"Nate! Pull over I'm going to sick." He was very quick to respond and immediately came to a stop after which I jumped out of the car and began to relieve my stomach of its contents.

"Lexi are you ok?"

"Yes I think so. That I knew that burrito was not to be trusted my stomach has never been the kind that's lined with steel." I laughed causing him to smile, the one I loved to see him wear, maybe all was not lost or us.

"Here, some water. I think we have some crackers in one of the bags I'll see if I can find them."

"Thanks."

The rest of the journey went off without a hitch, we made it all the way back to New York this time no stops except for a bathroom break. Reason being, about half-way into the journey Nate got an emergency call and needed to fly to Hong Kong as soon as possible. I told him that I was ok to drive him to the nearest airport and do the rest of the journey alone, but, Nate forever being the gentleman insisted on at least getting me into the state of New York and then take him directly to the airport.

"When do you think you'd be back?" I asked nervously.

"Difficult to say at the moment, I have to go and see how dire the situation actually is." I nodded my head. Both girls were busy playing with another family's children nearby and were preoccupied giving Nate and I few minutes alone to say goodbye.

"Umm..." My tongue was tied I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to say, it wasn't as though I was saying 'goodbye ' forever or was I?

"Hey it's going to be fine, I promise." He held the side of my face with his palm forcing me to meet his gaze but it was not the depth of his eyes that had me completely transfixed but the warm tingles which spread throughout my entire body were his hand made contact; how is it something I know is wrong feel so right. As if reading my thoughts Nate began to lean forward the movement releasing me from my momentary daze and bringing back rational thinking I dropped my chin to my chest cutting off his directed path.

"I'll talk to you soon Claire." He said calmly and then quickly made his way through the departure gate. He called me Claire, my given name but it wasn't out of anger as he would normally use it, which left me even more concerned, clearly everything was not going to be fine.

______

Very short I know. At first I wanted it to be a part 1/part 2 kind of thing but part 2 isnt really necessary. so doing a little rewrite i want to get things a bit more exciting.

Ill start working on it tonight but it might still take me a few days I'm trying to get 2 chapters out for all your patience and especially for the new fans!!

Thanks you all for the support-keep it coming :D

on another sorry for taking so long-i wrote this chapter three times trying to see how i wanted the 'morning after' to go and this is final draft, however, unedited (so excuse any mistakes)

I hope you like it

xoxo

Yolie