Just A Secretary, Workplace AU PT 11

You let Miguel silently drag you away to the nearest corridor away from Elena. What in the world is her problem? Honestly, there's so much going on right now you don't have time to focus on her. But had Miguel and Elena really been together? You remember him telling you that he's only been in 2 relationships. It was either his previous relationship or the one he had in high school. Dammit didn't you say that you weren't going to worry about it?

You're pulled out of your thoughts as you come to a stop. You look up and see Miguel's back expanding with every breath he takes.

"Miguel-" He cuts you off.

"It was a long time ago we were in high school I was foolish and-"

You place a gentle hand on his shoulder and take a step in front of him. "I don't need you to explain Miguel it's in the past" He stares at you briefly before he nods.

He lowers his voice. "Do you want to head back to your sister?" You think about it as much as you hate seeing her like this right now she needs you more than ever. But as you glance at the clock you realize visiting hours are almost over.

"Yeah, I want to see her. I only have about 10 minutes before visiting hours are up so..." You watch as he nods in understanding and you both walk back towards her room.

You take slow steps inside scared that with any sudden movement, she'll break. You grab a chair and drag it up to her bed where she's lying unconscious. You intertwine your fingers with hers and lean over to kiss her forehead.

"Please wake up...please I-I need you. You said we were in this together so please...come back to me" You rest your forehead against hers as you tightly close your eyes, your tears falling on her cheeks. You take a deep breath and step back slowly sinking into the chair you pulled up to her bed. You exhale leaning back in the chair. How can a day that started off so well turn so so so bad?

You sit there in silence staring out the window for what seems like forever. Until you remember that you weren't in the room by yourself. You immediately turn your head around and lock eyes with Miguel who's staring at you so intensely. You try to make out any emotions on his face but he remains expressionless. Fuck You don't want him to have to deal with all this and on his birthday nonetheless.

"If you want to leave you can-"

"Oh please I'm not leaving you"

"Miguel it's your birthday you can't-"

"I can't do what? Be there for my girlfriend while she's clearly hurting. No, I'm not leaving you."

You roll your eyes at his words. "Yes please let the whole hospital know I'm dating my boss" He narrows his eyes at you before he sits down in a chair that's in the room. You say nothing as you turn your head forward ignoring his presence. It's not like you don't want him here, you just don't want him to see you like this. You don't want anyone to see you like this broken and at your worst.

While holding your sister's hand you go to rest your forehead on the bed but you stop when you hear the door opening. You look up to see a doctor coming inside with a clipboard. They give you an apologetic smile before they open their mouth to speak.

"I'm very sorry that you're experiencing this....the hospital is here for you every step of the way" You give him a small nod in understanding.

"But you currently have an outstanding balance that needs to be paid. There's no rush but I just thought I should let you know" It takes you a second to process what the doctor is saying. Your sister literally just fell into a coma and they're already talking to you about the money you owe. How selfless can these people be? Your eyes dart to Miguel. Yes, he knows that you're paying for everything but you really don't want him to know that you're basically making just enough to pay off your sister's hospital bills as well as pay for your tuition each semester. You just had to pay $6,000 out of pocket for your tuition that was due this past January. It'll take you about A month's worth of paychecks before you can fully pay off the hospital bills. You barely have enough to make a down payment but you'll do what you have to do to help your sister.