.a wounded animal.

.where there is anger, there is always pain underneath.

The next day I found myself making the cold ascent of the staircase at Grimmauld place

There was no warmth in the walls. Everything was dark and shadows lurked in every corner. I almost couldn't bear it, but at the same time, it felt easier to be somewhere so lonely. I didn't have to pretend I was okay here. The thick darkness reflected the turmoil inside of me.

I felt like my life had become so full of paradoxes. I wanted to rid myself of the loneliness. But I couldn't stand to be around people and their pity. I wanted never to come back to Grimmauld place. There were ghosts in these walls that my fragile heart couldn't handle. But at the same time, I wanted desperately to hold onto any reminder that Regulus had lived.

I wanted the light, but my soul felt more at home in the dark.

But the simple fact remained that I needed to pack for Hogwarts.

I guess I could have bought a whole new wardrobe. But I needed my old school books and the detailed notes that would be the basis of my lesson plans. I wasn't about to leave such a valuable resource behind.

The floorboards creaked under my feet as I moved through the house, moaning from wear and overuse.

But that wasn't the sound that unsettled me.

A loud crashing made the floors above me shake, the sound carrying down the staircase. My heart instantly clenched in fear.

Walburga and Orion weren't due back for another week. Yet someone else was here inside of this house.

I wasn't alone.

I gripped my wand, and cautiously made my way up a flight of stairs, following where the sound had come from. My heartbeat echoed loudly in my ears, and I fought to keep my breathing in check.

The enchantments on Grimmauld Place were sealed by blood. No one outside of the Black bloodline should be able to enter without permission.

In theory anyway.

A string of foul curse words echoed from the drawing room. But there was something familiar about the voice.

My heart dropped in relief as I instantly recognized who the intruder was. I would know that voice anywhere. I felt tears well in my eyes as I raced up the remainder of the steps. I didn't realize how desperately I needed to see him.

Somehow my heart realized he was the last connection I had to what I'd lost.

I reached the door and stepped inside. In hindsight, I shouldn't have been as quiet as I was.

His back was to me. And for a small moment, I could have convinced myself that he was his brother. Both tall, and proud. Built with defined, lean muscle. But the longer, shaggier hair was the difference between him and the well kept waves of his brother.