.it's all very merry.

.some children are simply born with tragedy in their blood.

Christmas came all too quickly. The snows began to fall, mistletoe and fur trees adorned the school and students left for the holidays. It was all very merry, but over the years I grew to like this time of year less and less. Many others looked forward to it, but not me.

Not anymore.

When I was a child, it used to be the one day we could pretend everything was normal. We would wake up to a beautifully decorated Christmas tree, with hoards of presents underneath. Everything was merry and bright.

Until it wasn't anymore.

Other families made cookies together, decorated a Christmas tree, pulled Christmas crackers, sang and danced together. But not mine. We hardly did anything aside from give presents. Part of me deep down always dreaded the season because it meant leaving the safety that school offered, and going back to the snake pit.

A pit full of viscous venomous snakes.

This year was no exception. The closer we got to Christmas, the more the mark on my arm started to burn. I had started to get used to the dull ache that never seemed to go away.

Quickly, Christmas Eve was upon us, and I sat in my room, longing to be anywhere else. Longing for the murky glow of the Slytherin common room, for the Christmas trees and holly berries that adorned the Great Hall, and the sparkling clean snow that blanketed the grounds. Here we only had rain. Ceaseless torrents of tears from the sky.

I was pulled from my thoughts by yelling that echoed through the halls and reverberated off the walls.

I quietly crept out of my room and down the hall until I could peer down the elaborate staircase.

"You think you're better than us?" A voice hissed. A smile slid onto my face as I realized who the voice belonged to.

I hurried down the hallway as silently as I could, not wanting to draw any attention to myself.

"We never said that," My father hurled back, venom laced into every syllable of his voice.

The fury that I could detect in his tone made the hair on my skin stand up.

"You actions have spoken loudly and clearly." Another voice chimed in.

I finally had made it down the hall to where the large marble bannister began. I crouched down to peer through the slats, not wanting anyone to see me.

What I saw made my lips twitch in an even bigger smirk. Walburga and Orion were locked in a fierce confrontation with my mother and father.

Even if I hadn't heard anything that they were saying, I could tell just by their mannerisms that they were fighting.

Walburga stood squared up before my father. My mother had her hand on his shoulder, trying to calm him before he lost his temper. Orion stood next to his wife, he clutched his wand by his side with white knuckles.

"Your daughter would be lucky to be part of our family." Walburga spat with malice in her eyes.

"So now you think you are better than us?" My mother hissed dangerously. I was surprised she was getting involved.

My mother was a passive woman. She normally sat back and let my father deal with things like this.

"I don't think we are better than you, I know we are." Walburga replied.

"I WILL NOT BE SO INSULTED IN MY OWN HOME." My father raged, his face turning purple. A vein on his forehead started pulsing.

I had to cover my mouth to stifle a laugh. He looked ridiculous.