.mudblood scum.

.the day your soul left this earth, was the day mine did too. my heart no longer beats the same. my eyes no longer see the same. my mind no longer thinks the same. while I am physically here, my soul is with yours. bound together in the stars.

The letter gave me the strength I needed to continue for the time being

The letter gave me the strength I needed to continue for the time being. It didn't dull the pain, didn't lessen the anguish. Not in any way. But it gave me a purpose because I knew I couldn't let Regulus's last acts be in vain.

I would do everything in my power to bring down the Dark Lord. To thwart his plans. To wreak havoc from the inside of his organization out. I owed Regulus that much. And though the grief was not lessened in any way, somehow it became more bearable.

The Hogwarts term started without incident.

It felt terribly odd to sit at the head table between Professor Slughorn and Professor Sinistra. It had only been a few short months before that I had been sitting on the other side of Professor Dumbledore's owl lectern.

I could feel the students eyes start to bore into me as they poured into the Great Hall. There were whispered and several pointed in my direction.

It was odd that I was now their teacher. I was hardly even a year older than some of them. I had attended school as a student with the vast majority of them. Now I was expected to teach them. It would be a learning curve for everyone.

The hall grew noisier as more carriages arrived from the train station. And finally Professor Dumbledore began the start of term feast.

"Welcome back to the start of another term at Hogwarts." He extended his arms in welcome. "Before we begin our feast, I have a few start of term announcements."

He paused for a moment before continuing and seemed to search the souls of every person in attendance.

"With heavy hearts we must acknowledge a truly terrible loss. Professor Greene is no longer with us. The Ministry of Magic does not wish for me to tell you this, but it is a truth you must know. Professor Greene was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

The effect was instantaneous. Gasps echoed out all around the hall, there were even a few shrieks and screams. Some students had gone bone pale, others looked utterly shocked. A select few looked on with small smirks, observing the chaos with glee.

"I know it may come as a shock that I am sharing this with you. But it would be an insult to his memory not to. Professor Greene was brave, and kind, and a loyal friend. Let us remember him as such."

As he finished speaking, Professor McGonagall stood up, her wand raised above her, a bright light shone at the tip. After a few moments, a few students joined her, then a few members of the staff. Gradually the whole room stood, wands raised above their heads, light emanating in deep silvery pools around us.

The moment didn't last long. But it felt like it was more than just a remembrance of Professor Greene. Like each person had their wand raised for someone they personally had lost.