.divulging to dubmledore.

.who we are and who we need to be to survive are two very different things.

Alecto didn't waste any time in spreading around the school the details of the encounter that she had witnessed in the library. Thankfully, it appeared that she hadn't heard what we had been saying too well.

For that, I was grateful. I didn't want anyone to take away from the happiness of our conversation.

He intended to marry me.

With everything that was happening around us, it seemed absurd to even think about what our future could hold. I was so focused on living to see another day that I hadn't even thought that far ahead. But the thought filled me with a kind of joy that I didn't know I could feel anymore.

The morning after Alecto had caught us in the library, I received three letters.

One from my father, one from Sirius, and one that was unmarked.

Regulus was quite surprised that my mother and father hadn't sent me a howler. But I knew differently. Rosier's were proud and private people, who didn't want the details of their personal life broadcasted for all to hear.

The letter was scathing. Apparently, my mother- who normally penned the correspondence for my family-was too angry to even pick up the pen. That meant that the duty had fallen to my father. And he was less polite than mother was.

I read it over, horrified at the contents.

Insolent girl, you've wrecked everything. We had a tidy match arranged for you and Rabastan LeStrange, but now that we have been made aware of your extra curricular activities he won't take you, saying that he won't have "damaged goods". Your loyalty is to your family. Now your weakness has cost us all.
Sometimes your heart regrets the things that duty requires. Nevertheless duty should always prevail. We taught you the words of your mother's family when you were just beginning to talk. Loyalty unto death. Your actions have gone against the bounds of loyalty. Your actions have shown that you are no daughter of ours. Regardless, I shall try to salvage this match if I can, and you will do as I say and let this foolish fling go.

I was shaking with fury by the time I was finished with the letter.

Rabastan Leatrange. They had sold my hand to someone for connection and influence like I was a lamb at an auction. My hands shook and my vision was starting to blur. Whether it was from anger or tears, I couldn't tell.

How dare they do something like that without even consulting me first. I felt all the air leave my lungs as I remembered a winter night not too long ago when I had told my father I would make him take the unbreakable vow. A vow that said that I could choose my own husband when the time came. With all that had happened that night, I had forgotten. A mistake that was now costing me dearly.

And how dare he lecture me about loyalty. Their loyalty was to the wrong things. Loyalty to what brought power. That was all that I had ever experienced.

I felt Regulus gently grab my arm, pulling me from the silent fury I had been stuck in.

"What's wrong, love?" He asked, concern evident in his stormy eyes. The care that I could see on his face made some of my anger dissipate.

I handed him the letter so that he could read the scalding words of my father. I wasn't sure that I wanted to know what his reaction would be.

All the joy that I felt from the night before had just been sucked from me. The cold that I was so familiar with began to seep back into my soul.

Regulus slammed the letter down on the table. I looked at him hesitantly.

What I saw terrified me. I had never seen Regulus truly angry. He was normally gentle and kind. But this was a different side of him, and I was scared for whoever was on the receiving end of his fury.