.a sluggish party.

.it takes great courage to see the world in all its tainted glory, and still to love it.

I had avoided many Slug Club invitations during my time at Hogwarts, but I was quite mistaken if I thought Professor Slughorn would ever let me off the hook from attending one of his dreadful dinner parties.

"There are great things in store for you, Ms. Rosier." He always insisted. This time was no different. He cornered me as I was cleaning out my cauldron right before potions ended, insisting that because I'd left early from his Christmas party, I owed him my presence for the whole evening at an upcoming gathering.

Under normal circumstances, I would have been annoyed with the situation. But I decided that such a time would be the perfect opportunity to attempt to find out what memory lurked within the depths of his mind. That is how I found myself entering Slughorn's office on such a cold February night.

The problem was that almost every seat was filled. Every head turned in my direction as I entered. Heat rushed up into my cheeks as a two dozen sets of eyes stared at me. I had gotten caught up assisting a second-year student with his transfiguration homework and hadn't realized what time it was until Regulus had run in already wearing a smart black suit telling me we were going to be late. He had wanted to wait for me, but I'd insisted that he go on ahead, and let Professor Slughorn know that I was running a little behind schedule.

"Ah, Ms. Rosier. Good of you to join us." Slughorn bellowed, finally interrupting the uncomfortable silence. "Mr. Black told us you were running a little late. We had all just come to an agreement that we would wait for you to arrive before we brought out the food. There is an empty seat between Mr. Black and Mr. Lupin, please sit and we will begin!" He cried, his boisterous voice bouncing off the stone walls around us. He raised his arms, and as he did so, various types of meats, potatoes, corn, mincemeat pies, and many other types of food appeared heaped upon silver platters.

I glanced at the seat that he had gestured to, and realized that the only unoccupied one was indeed next to a Mr. Black.

Mr. Sirius Black.

From behind, Sirius looked almost exactly like Regulus. I cursed Slughorn under my breath. In an effort to spark interesting conversation, he insisted on selecting the seating arrangements for his dinners. As happy as I was to have been placed between Remus and Sirius rather than others like Rowle or Avery, a small part of me had been hoping that I would be closer to Regulus. His presence seemed to calm me in ways other people could not.

"Yes, love. Come sit by me." Sirius said, laughter twinkling in his eyes. He stood quickly to pull the chair out for me. I glanced at it reluctantly before taking a seat, half expecting him to pull it out from underneath me and watch as I fell to the floor. When it didn't happen, I was happy and relieved to see that his manners hadn't been abandoned, he was still quite chivalrous, even if it was to put on a show.

The decorating Professor Slughorn had done was remarkably spectacular. The ambiance, quite opposite of the bright cheery atmosphere that his usual parties emanated. The room was shadowy, lit by candles and firelight. There were a hundred silver candles that hovered above the table, casting their eerie glow throughout the room. The table was decorated with the finest silver, and each place was marked by a golden place setting that shimmered in the firelight.

I felt as if I could have blended into the shadows with my dress. It was as dark as midnight, matching the darkness in the room. But the beadwork that climbed up the bodice and snaked down the skirt in the shape of roses, shimmered under the soft light of the candles. It was quite fitting, as roses were the centerpieces for the table decorum. Dozens them adorned crystal vases on the table all lush, beautiful, and as red as blood.