What We Have, What We Had

"I think it would be better if we talk about this without Hanni, Danielle can accompany her." Minji whispered while looking at her mother seriously.
"And why is that?"
"You'll find out later Mom, but please, just do as I say."
Mrs. Kim looked at Minji, trying to guess, but finally thought she would find out the reason later in their conversation.
She nodded.

Minji walked up to Hanni and whispered something, she then kissed her on the forehead and gave Danielle the code to accompany her.
The Vietnamese seemed hesitant for a moment before obeying Minji's words, she then kissed Minji before stepping towards their room.

"What's wrong? Why do Hanni and I have to be in the room?" Danielle whispered, her eyes glancing at Minji who was waiting for her to get up from the couch.
"Uuuhh...this is so complicated."
"Am I the only one here who doesn't know anything?" Danielle asked again.
Haerin scratched her chin, over time there was a possibility that her fiancé would find out everything.

But what should she say if Danielle found out that they killed someone?
The woman was very sensitive and caring, but she was very scary when she was angry, and the Australian didn't like being lied to either.

Haerin took a deep breath slowly, why did her Mom have to invite everyone to their lunch hour? And why did that stupid giraffe come too?

This was all very difficult.

"Marsh." Minji's voice called Danielle, she was getting impatient.
“I hope it isn’t anything serious." Danielle kissed Haerin and immediately trotted off after Hanni.
The cat-eyed exhaled, feeling even more guilty.

Minji and Haerin sat next to Mrs. Kim who had taken a position next to Hyein.
"Well." Mrs. Kim crossed her legs, looking at her two children, "Can you two tell me why Hyein has a beaten face?"

Silence.

"Mom, promise me you won't interfere if I tell you." Minji said a bit later.
"That depends."
"Mom."
"I want to know who hit this cutie, what did she do wrong?"
"Minji used to hit her too."
"Haerin I swear..."
"You hit Hyein??"
"Mom, we're not talking about me right now."
"Then tell me what you know."

Minji rubbed her forehead, where should she start? It would take too long to tell from the beginning, and it's too risky to say that Seol Il Sung was the one who bruised Hyein's face.

Mom would ask why Il Sung hit Hyein, and this conversation could lead to what they did to Han Woo. She had to be careful.

"Seol Il Sung didn't approve of his daughter's relationship with Hyein, he thought Hyein is..." Minji stopped her speech, thinking about her word choice, "an ordinary person."
"And? He knew they were close, right? So why hit her?" Mrs. Kim could not contain her annoyance, she then turned to Hyein, "Did you say something that crossed the line?" she asked.

Hyein clenched her jaw tightly, she glanced at Minji, her boss shook her head with an almost imperceptible gesture.
"Hyein wouldn't say or do anything impudent, we all know that Mom." Minji answered Mrs. Kim.

"I know Il Sung isn’t a man who would do something carelessly even though he is just as much of a jerk as your father. But seeing Hyein's face like this, I know that it's not just a matter of blessing." Mrs. Kim turned her gaze towards Minji.

Haerin's lips moved strangely, she wanted to defend Minji and Hyein but she was worried that she would make a different statement from her sister.

I guess I'll let Minji do the talking.

"Haerin, what do you know?"

"Hyein was a former thug and it became a big problem for that old bastard." Haerin answered quickly and smoothly, letting out her thoughts.