45

Four Months Later

[Levi's POV]

Ever since I learned about Sina's pregnancy, I have been visiting her every two weeks in Ehrmich District where she is residing now. Not only because I miss her; I notice her pregnancy is taking a toll on her health. She is six months pregnant according to the local doctor and in this cold weather, she should stay indoors.

The dark circles under her eyes tell me she has been lacking sleep and her pale skin is just as concerning. Of course, I begin to worry but she keeps brushing it off, assuring me her body is just exhausted since the pregnancy is eating away her energy. Even after a long, restful slumber, she still seems tired. I honestly think it is more than just the pregnancy.

I even carry that worry with me to work, because her weak eyes and frail body are engraved in my mind. Not only that, it makes my heart heavy just thinking about her condition. We are currently four months engaged, and I finally pluck up the courage to bring it up to Hange and Erwin at the Headquarters.

"YOU PROPOSED!?" Hange squeals in excitement until her glasses flash in front of me. "It is hard to imagine since you're not a romantic, but I guess this is Sina we are talking about here."

I click my tongue at her comment. "I raised the idea with Sina and after some time, we had a serious conversation about our future."

"I congratulate you two," Erwin says with his arms crossed while observing my dull expression. "You don't seem excited."

Hange sighs loudly. "Really, who stays stony-faced when talking about marriage?"

"When am I not stony-faced? Do you expect me to jump up and down like a happy titan right now?" I roll my eyes, then drop my shoulders. "Of course, I am excited for our future. No matter what happens next, I will always be there for her as the one person she can always rely on."

"Awww." Hange lets out a cheesy grin. "By the way, how is Sina?"

I pause, thinking about her question. And I let myself feel the truth. Every time I visited Sina, she grew a bit sicker. But worst of all, I'm beginning to feel fear. I need her more than I need air.

"Is her belly bigger than the last time you saw her?"

"You're not planning to dissect her, are you?" I ask jokingly, then I drop to seriousness again. "She seems... more tired lately. If I'm being honest, it does not seem normal."

"Pregnancy is difficult," Erwin admits. "If you like, you can take the next week off to visit her sooner. Having her worry about you will only add more stress to her health."

"I guess you're right." I lower my gaze to the floor. As much as Sina needs me, she keeps pushing me away out of love. For the sake of humanity. But I refuse to let her push me away because she is the only person that matters.

Erwin then steps forward to grip my shoulder, giving it a strong squeeze. "And, I sincerely wish you a blissful marriage."

⚔︎

One Week Later

Erwin allows me an extra week off to visit Sina in Ehrmich District, where she is staying in a small house. When I ride horseback into the district, the gate closes behind me and I am usually welcomed by the townspeople, especially women as they fan their faces at my presence.

"Oh, Captain Levi! Come have a drink with us!" One of the ladies offered as I made my way through the stone road and I gave them a cold stare.

"Not interested. I'm in a hurry." Then, I leave the crowd behind and start searching for the house.