princess and the frog

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

flashback 1: princess and the frog

the first time i ever laid eyes on historia, i knew she was other worldly. too beautiful to even exist on the same plane as this one. her blonde hair shimmered in the sunlight; but it was no match her bright white smile. everything about her was regal, down to the way she stood.

i was just a freshman in high school, staring in awe at the girl across the courtyard. her big blue eyes were suddenly looking back at me. as soon as i registered it, my face became red in embarrassment. fuck. way to make a good impression here, stalker. then, she smiled, raising her hand in a wave like she's known me all my life. i was even more awestruck.

why would she bother waving at a loser like me? the question stumped me as i made my way to my first class. the paper schedule from the office was tightly gripped in my hand. i knew i looked like an idiot; scampering around campus looking up at classrooms and back down at my map. the more i thought about it, the more my hands started to shake. you look so stupid, no one's gonna be friends with you here, either. deep down, i knew it wasn't true. but my conscience kept repeating it; criticizing myself came naturally.

"342!" i exclaimed out of relief, almost too loud. i checked around; see no eyes on you, and opened the door to math class. it was calculus; it shouldn't be too hard, i was taking advanced math at my old school.

i sat in an empty chair toward the back, fiddling with my fingers. peeling the skin of my cuticles back. the class was already pretty full, no one else should be sitting here, right? i focused on nothing else but the pain on my fingertips. at least until, "hey! um, that's actually my seat.." a voice soft as silk spoke. looking up, it was the girl from the courtyard. so embarrassing! i scolded myself. "oh, i'm so sorry," i immediately got up, grabbing the backpack next to me.

"it's okay, really, no harm! no one sits in the seat next to me," she gestured to the alternative. for the first time in a while, a genuine smile appeared on my face. i nodded, taking the seat. i tried not to fiddle with my hands, instead opting to look dead ahead at the white boad.

"i'm historia.." she left her sentence open ended to hear my own name. "y/n." my voice was still quiet. why wasn't i invisible to her? "are you new?" historia inquired.

"yeah," i laughed lowly, but it wasn't out of humor.

"oh. it must suck transferring in the middle of the year!" if it came from anyone else, it might've been rude. but from her it seemed sympathetic. i gave her another smile, attempting to turn my head away when she spoke again, "you're going to have lunch with me!" she wasn't pushy, but she made it known i had no other options. i couldn't believe it. a friend on the first day.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

from then on, historia and i were an inseparable pair. there wasn't a place she went where i didn't and vice versa. she was the princess of the school, but she was my own princess too. i wouldn't have made it through the rest of freshman year without her taking me under her wing. i knew she got shit for it. hanging out with an antisocial freshman, but she never let other people affect her. around me, at least.

"y/n, just plop it in! it won't hurt," she tried to calm me down. i could see the outline of the contact in my own vision. i hated it. shivering, i put it back into the solution. "i don't want to do it!" i whined like a baby. "really? because you were just telling me how much you hated the glasses," she giggled at my weakness.

i frowned over at her, before picking the contact back up. swallowing my fear, i just shoved it in my eye. "oh my god," i said lowly, brining my hand up to cover my eye. i fiddled around with the placement before opening my eye again, "is it in there?!" historia grabbed my cheeks, peering into my eyes, "you got it!" i think she might've been happier than i was.