lilacs

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

chapter 9: lilacs

content warnings: talk of death

3:47 my phone screen read. god damn. it was almost impossible to sleep these days; only getting the kind of sleep where your brain doesn't turn off. my eyes just feel like they're closed until my alarm goes off, or i wake up in the middle of the night. like tonight.

getting out of bed, i made my way into the kitchen in desperate need of water. eren sat on one of the island stools; not doing anything. sleep still clouded my memory, i had forgotten about the wistful mood i had gone to sleep on. probably why i was extra restless tonight. i knew he was intent on keeping his bodyguard status, but i couldn't believe he was still here.

he turned his head in my direction, oncing me over to make sure i didn't break all my bones in my sleep somehow. grabbing a cup from the cabinet, i filled it up with ice. "you do know you can't just follow me around forever, right," i asked , turning on the tap water. "i mean you can't really think it's logical?"

his face lightly frowned, but he kept his features in check. i was so tired of him trying to control everything; it wasn't impossible to decipher him, but it took too much overthinking. "i know," he met my eyes before going back to watching my motions intently. "once i know my brother's back at home, we'll go back to normal," normal, huh.

eren's version of normal was not eerily standing in my apartment all night. my version was eren going back to ignoring me; clipping conversation even when it was necessary. suddenly, being constantly faced with my feelings was more desirable. i scoffed, "whatcha gonna do about food?" i chucked at myself, treating the situation as a joke.

looking almost disgusted i had brought it up, he was quick to avert his eyes from my body entirely. "i don't need yours," he provided me with no information. i wasn't stupid; i knew that. but i hadn't really thought about where he got blood from.

there were no strange disappearances or unsolved murders, so someone had to be giving him blood willingly. right? jealousy sparked deep in my stomach; i gripped my cup tighter as a response. my knuckles turned white at the thought of him drinking from another girl's neck. my grip tightened further at the thought of him licking at the cut to heal it.

i made my way back to my room swiftly. in the same manner i had just a few hours ago. "in that case, i hope you're gone by morning." behind my closed door, i took deep breaths in an attempt to calm myself. i gulped the water in a few swallows, but none of it worked. how much longer were things going to be like this?

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"the bitches are texting," i called to jean, holding his phone in the air. he angrily stormed over to me, "give it," he demanded, but i let him have his phone back easily. he scanned over the screen, a small smile forming on his face. i poked his leg with my foot, "oh my god, the bitches are texting!"

he was quick to put his phone in his pocket. i laughed at his reaction, but it made me all the more curious. "you're not gonna tell me?" i exaggerated my frown. he rolled his eyes, "it's the girl from the lake. the one i talked to with armin," playboy jean was uncomfortable talking about it. his cheeks were slightly pink, and he rubbed the side of his arm.

"the lake?! jeans that's like over three months!" i stared at him in shock. jean was one to brag about all the attention he got; if he kept this quiet, it was probably getting serious. really, it just reminded me how long things with eren haven't been the same for.

the front door to jean's dorm opened up, revealing connie. speak of the devil. "wassup pussies!" he obnoxiously yelled. i covered my laugh with my hand; jean had just told me they got another noise complaint. sasha was right behind him, i could roughly make out armin's blonde hair somewhere in the doorway. in my distraction, connie had hopped onto my lap. he cupped my cheeks in his hands, sloppily pressing his lips against mine.