family ties

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

chapter 6: family ties

content warnings: descriptions of blood and feeding

eren's pov:

i ascended the basement stairs with urgency, rubbing the temple on the right side of my head. the blood awakened my hunger; i have to get out of here.

i barely registered the cold air wrapping about my body. barely registered jean calling after me. the world went numb around me; blurry vision, muffled hearing. my nose fed me my surroundings; desperately trying to find more blood. and it did.

whipping my body around, i spot jean, "dude what the fuck!" his shout drags my other senses back to the surface. my fill wasn't met, but i could focus again. my attention didn't stay on him for long; choosing to focus on the ring coming from my phone. the number calling had no contact, but i knew who it was. fuck me. i groaned at the call, shutting my eyes to try and escape reality. another ping forced my eyes to open.

562-xxx-xxxx:

shiganshina. now.

"-ou even listening?" looking back up at jean, he's even more frustrated than before. he walked a few paces closer, but he was smart enough to keep his distance. "no," i deadpan, "but i have to go. now," i tried to explain the urgency with my tone but his expression showed he didn't understand. jean never did.

"you can't seriously be leaving again," jean chastised me. i didn't know what to say to him. even in the dark; his furious demeanor burned. his fists clenched. hard. i could hear the rub of his skin from my place on the gravel pathway. "what's the point of coming back," he had a harder time disguising the hurt. his tone wavered, and and his face twisted in anguish. his features contorted together, teeth baring.

"it's zeke" his eyes blew wide at the mention of his name. i could see the past reflecting within them. memories flash across my own mind. it would forever be the first memory i think of when his name echos in my skull. i hated it. "i can't ignore him. you know better than anyone," i didn't want to bring it up. i really didn't, but jean just had to let me go.

he shook his head, "i can't believe this is happening again." his hands raised, beginning to cover his ears. his features held agony; everything scrunched up and furrowed. i walked the distance between us, "jean," i said, lightly removing his hands. "it won't be long. last time was different," i tried to hide the shiver that came down my spine at the thought.

i held my hand out; palm open. jean didn't hesitate to grip it, pulling me in for a half hug. "better not be," he scoffed; bravado returning to his tone. i knew my absence hurt him the worst out of everyone. i could say it over and over, but he wouldn't understand how little choice i have in everything. he was still missing most of the pieces. "just-" i sighed, lightly shaking my head, "tell mikasa and armin not to worry. i can't leave them hanging. not again," it was my turn to clench my fists at the reminder of the memory.

'armin and mikasa really hurt when you weren't here,' her voice taunted me inside my head; reverberating through my skull. my hand lifted to my temples, trying to massage it out.

"everyone else?" jean asked; but her name hung in the air. "they'll be fine," my voice pulled with tension. "say i went to refill our alc supply," and with that i turned, not bearing to look at jean anymore. why'd he always have to make leaving so hard? dumbass.

i knew it wasn't jean's fault. i wouldn't have to leave again if i just stayed in shiganshina. i shouldn't have come back, that was the truth. my absence would be easier for everyone to deal with if it was permanent. y/n above everyone. she had no clue how long i've stayed away; i should've kept trying. i believed i could live like i had before; but i was wrong. every day i seemed to slip further and further away from the reality of my life. in my time at jean's lakehouse, i seemed to forget it intrely. what i am.