awakening

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

chapter 13: awakening

my body instinctively sucked in a breath; a shock running through my body at the hum of pain. my vision was blurred, and i relied solely on my other senses. they only confused me more. everything sounded different; smelled different. my body didn't feel like my own. like i hijacked this one.

trying to take in more breaths, my throat was sore. compressed. like a hand was gripped around it, cutting off air flow. "y/n," it was so muffled and distant, i wasn't sure if i really heard it. am i dead? confusion was all i seemed to remember. all of my memories were scrambled together, but the voice seemed to connect something in my brain.

my mind lagged behind the memories, trying to catch up with a life that didn't feel like mine. eren. the voice was eren. my vision was clearing up, revealing the boy from my memories before me. i blocked out everything else, focusing on his features that were furrowed. they seemed to ease up with my consciousness, "hey," he whispered, exhaling in relief.

his voice was so familiar, i filed through more memories. everything seemed to flash before my eyes, allowing more sense to be made about my reality. i glanced around; we were in his apartment. when did we leave the cabin? confusion made my head spin again, "what happened," my head throbbed trying to figure it out, increasing the pressure on my throat.

eren stayed silent, grasping my cheeks in his hands, lifting my eyelids lightly and peering into my eyes. "you have to wake up," his grip loosened, but i could still feel the outline of his hands. wake up? trying to move my body, everything was more sensitive. i hissed at the pain below my skin. it felt like my veins were on fire, constantly burning the inside of my body.

the pain was localized at my throat; searing more intensely there. lifting my hand, i gripped around my throat, trying to figure out what was on it. the side of my neck was cold; ice cold. i brought my hand down to level with my eyes; my palm was red. was that my blood?

my state of confusion felt like it would never end; i looked over to eren, meeting his gaze for reassurance. his face was soft, hints of sadness beneath his eyes. the light had left them, leaving an endless void behind the green. "eren," i had to suck in a breath, the pressure complicated speaking. "what happened?" i asked again; desperate for any semblance of information. all my mind could seem to remember at the moment was eren. just us.

his eyes became even darker, and he neglected to answer for a few moments. he lifted my body off his lap; i finally realized i had been tucked into him the entire time. i felt the strength of his hands, but his touch was more intense than ever. like i could feel each molecule of his skin pressing against mine. he easily lifted my body, positing me on the couch cushion. he kneeled below me, his body between my legs. his hands gripped my own, "zeke bit you," his tone was so cautious; like he thought i might shatter if he breathed the wrong way.

bit? my mind reeled again, trying to remember my life. every memory felt old, like i lived it years ago. that's right, eren's black eyes flashed before me, vampires are real. a shock ran through my body; i had come to the realization for the first time again. "zeke bit me," i repeated to myself, but those memories were still cloudy. i clutched his hands in frustration, why can't i remember zeke?

eren seemed to know what i was thinking, "you won't remember everything right now," he sucked in a breath, the first i had seen him take, "it'll come back, i promise." he was so comforting and soft; i felt like all i needed was him in this moment. who cares about the rest of my life?

"so," my voice was quiet, and unfamiliar to me. "i'm a vampire," i said uneasily. my words came out slowly, trying to understand them as i spoke. it was unexpected, and i didn't know how to feel. i barely felt any emotions; too wrapped up in my physical discomfort. in the little time i had thought about turning, i didn't imagine it to feel like this. painful. i had associated the process of vampirism above feeling. i was wrong.