the disappearance of eren jaeger

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

flashback 2: the disappearance of eren jaeger

content warnings: descriptions of death (please read carefully)

jean's pov:

from the beginning it was always eren, mikasa, and armin. but in the middle it was me, marco, and eren. somewhere along the lines, eren found family with us, too.

"i can't believe it! you guys we're going to start college!" marco said excitedly; walking ahead to turn to face eren and i. "isn't that so crazy? it feels like just yesterday we forced eren to hang out with us," he giggled at eren. he got too excited whenever he smoked. "come on, marco, get your shit together," he was being such a nuisance.

"jean don't piss your pants," eren laughed at me. "we're living together now; at least try to sound excited," eren got the same way. how is it that i'm the only one that acts normally? eren skipped ahead, grabbing marco's hand before they started skipping together.

i had to run to catch up, "come on guys! you look like dumbasses!" i criticized them, but i couldn't keep the smile off my face. the street was dark and empty, anyway. it was weird to think we were finally here; in sina. we've only been talking about it since freshman year. it was eren's idea, and marco would follow him anywhere. and i would follow marco anywhere. all three of us... it just felt right.

eren and marcos hands unclasped in a second. in another, eren was thrown against the wall beside him. his body hit it with so much force, the shop window shattered at the contact. "eren!" with all of my attention turned onto the brunette, i didn't see marco get snatched. eren got up quickly, coughing lighty, "zeke.." his voice trailed. i turned to look at the direction of his gaze.

a blonde man held marco in a chokehold. he was struggling against the grip; legs trying to stay on the ground while his hands clawed at the hand around him. "what are you doing?" eren asked, his voice was quiet with shock. in the presence of this man, eren turned inward on himself. the smiles on all of our faces just a minute ago were wiped clean off.

"looks like you're already loving college life, eren," he spoke. i was frozen; we both were. marco looked to me, our eyes locking. it snapped me our of my state of fear, "hey what the fuck are you doing?!" i exclaimed, taking a few steps toward the strange man. he knows eren? what's he trying to do with marco? my brain was still trying to catch up with all the information thrown at me. "you don't want to get any closer," he spoke again. the growl in his voice made me stop immediately. my body sensed the danger before i saw it.

looking up at his face; his eyes were completely black. it's just a play on lighting, my brain tried to rationalize. if my eyes could get any bigger, they did when he smiled ear to ear. revealing long and sharp fangs. i couldn't move. not even if i wanted to. "zeke. don't. just leave!" my head wouldn't move to face eren, but he didn't sound surprised by the sight in front of him; just scared. his voice wavered.

marco continued to struggle, movements becoming weaker with the lack of airflow. move! do something! "let him go! i don't need another lesson!" eren yelled out; like a scared little kid. he appeared in my peripheral vision; reaching out. but i still couldn't move. my feet were cemented in their place. i felt so fucking useless, why can't i just MOVE.

in the next second, 'zeke' was across the empty street from us, letting marco go. he clenched at his throat, no longer having any pressure on it. he started coughing up blood on the pavement. he looked over to me before the man grabbed him again. his fangs sunk into marcos neck in another instant. and then marco was screaming in agony. his screams snapped me out of my state; eren started running to the other side, and i joined right behind him.