somewhere in germany

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

epilogue: somewhere in germany

content warnings: sexual content, brief descriptions of blood

three years later:

warm air circled through the barn; it was finally spring in germany. quiet sounds of life filled my ears. birds chirping, the movement of the barn animals. "good boy," i murmured to the goat at my hands, feeding him another piece of straw as i patted his head.

"i hate it when you call other guys that," eren teased. turning to him, he was sitting on the railing to the pen, an exaggerated frown on his face. it couldn't cover the constant comfort his features wore. a few months after we had gotten here, reality set in, and both of us adjusted to the absence of overwhelming doom that had followed us for too long. it was hard not to be constantly happy with how things turned out.

"it's a goat, sociopath," i reached into the ground below me, chucking a bit of dirt at him. he launched himself off the fence, walking over to me to pick me up from my kneeling position. "doesn't matter," he muttered, lining my head with quick kisses. "so i was stalking reiner a few days ago," eren drew me out of my bliss.

i pushed him away so he could see the disturbed look on my face, "the fuck? why?" i shook my head in disbelief at him, but i couldn't hold back the laugh. "he is your ex," he lifted his brows, trying to show his reasoning.

i rolled my eyes, "are you seriously still pulling that? i'm your goddamn fiance!" i lifted my hand in the air, showing him the ring. he laughed, and i pulled my hand down to admire it again. the one he picked was perfect; i wasn't surprised. neither of us could have kids with the vampirism; it would be just us for the rest of our lives. i couldn't be sad at that thought; instead it made perfect sense.

"yes i am," he protested, "anyway, he has a new girlfriend." my jaw dropped open. i scoffed lightly, "yikes. i almost feel bad for bertholdt." i really did. it was hard to imagine everything he did to me being useless because he never confessed his feelings to the person it mattered to. and he likely never would.

eren scoffed even harder, "i don't," he shrugged his shoulders. "i can't believe he still hasn't mentioned anything," i shook my head in disbelief. "you really don't need to feel so bad for him," he approached me, rubbing my shoulder in comfort.

shrugging my shoulders, i let out a breath of air, "i know." he scanned my face quickly, trying to gauge my emotions before changing the conversation. "jean texted. he'll be here tomorrow," his voice was lined with false disappointment. i couldn't hold back the laugh in the back of my throat. "oh don't sound so disappointed, i know you're excited to see him."

in the months leading up to our move, eren and jean had fixed their bond. sort of. i doubted it would ever be how it was when marco was still with them; but i was happy to see them have a semblance of a friendship again. "whatever," eren muttered, still insecure about being excited.

"why's he coming so early though?" none of our friends were supposed to be flying in for another week and a half. "he wants to spend some time with us before the wedding. i guess pieck is gonna fly up separately." i nodded my head, finishing up the goat's feed.

eren took my que, grabbing the bucket of chicken feed, and throwing the rest around their coup. the sun started to set on the horizon. our plot of land always had the best sunsets. it was hard to feel any disdain here; other than the mention of one thing. "and i heard from someone else."

i already knew what was coming, but i couldn't hold back the disappointed sigh that left my mouth. news from zeke. i should be thankful to him, and i was, but his name usually came with unnerving news. but i think zeke was thankful to us, too. apparently, after we left, grisha was so caught up in finding eren, it allowed him to have more freedom in his own life. grisha was less suffocating to him.