A burnt out sun and a cold moon

Minho was in awe. The Moon Lands were cooler and greener than the Sun Lands, and he'd never seen so many lakes in his life. But that wasn't what had him captivated. The City of the Moon, the captital of the northern Kingdom, was truly magnificent. Nestled among rolling hill and jagged, white mountains, the city glowed white under the evening sky, towering buildings and winding streets colliding together in flashes of color under the white. Roaring waterfalls surrounded the city, sparkling and refracting rainbows through the air. This place felt alive.

Minho hadn't felt life in years, and he became aware of the heart beating in his chest for the first time since... he couldn't remember. He watched the city unashamed as his carriage carried him closer to the iridescent castle looming at the center of the city. He hated his reason for being here, but that didn't stop him from appreciating everything he saw.

The grounds of the castle were beautiful as well, surrounded by weeping willow trees and filled with strange, gold and silver flowers. The towering rose bushes following the stone paths were deep blue and in full bloom. Minho was tempted to pick one, but his hands remained folded neatly behind his back.

"Eyes forward, Minho," his mother whispered, nudging his arm subtly as they approached the sweeping front steps of the castle where a large crowd had gathered to greet the southern royals.

At the top of the stairs stood five figures, all dressed in white, silver and gold, elegant shawls and ribbons draped around their lithe figures. Minho preferred the style of the south, with silk clothes and practical ribbons and sashes that cinched clothing to provide complete mobility. He felt like a complete outsider in his black shirt etched with gold on his shoulders and his plain trousers. He felt an immense comfort with the weight of weapons hanging at his hips.

Staff and court members of the Moon palace greeted the Sun royalty as they ascended the stairs to meet the other royal family. In Minho's mind, this was a battlefield. He was tempted to rest his hand on his saber, but he refrained.

Minho's constant study of their surroundings abruptly stopped when they reached the top and bowed to the Moon royalty. When he raised his head, his eyes landed on the young man standing to the far right. 

He was... regal. Elegant. Silver hair hung in his sharp, strange colored eyes. A heart shaped mouth sat neutral, but complemented the angle of the jaw that accompanied it. He was dressed in loose white pants and a sheer, silver shirt that shone gold at certain angles. A silvery silk shawl and dangling gold ribbons draped over his shoulders and around his body but did little to hide his small waist.

The Prince of the Moon suddenly met Minho's eyes.

Minho's body snapped itself to attention, and he realized he'd missed whatever the Moon King just said. But he thankfully caught on to what was expected of him. He dipped his head after briefly glancing at the princesses. "It's an honor to be here in your beautiful city. Forgive me if I seem distracted, it was a long journey."

"That's alright," the Moon Queen said, her light, airy voice easing any tension that had risen. "I understand how exhausting the road can be."

Minho's mother bumped him with her shoulder as his father responded to the queen, and she murmured, "No more slip ups. Staring into space is rude and disrespectful."

Minho wanted to argue that he wasn't staring into space but at the Prince, and thought better of it. Thankfully, he didn't have time to verbally respond. It was time to get settled before supper.

The weight of a kingdom brought his body to bow before the princesses and thank them for their hospitality. He noticed the prince watching him with an unnamed look in his eyes, but he didn't acknowledge it and followed his parents inside. He was suddenly and strangely nervous about the night that lay ahead.